Five Pies for Pie Day
It's National Pie Day, according to the National Pie Council. Though I usually ignore food holidays, like this guy with a pie fetish, I could eat variations on pie every day for life. Pies are the ultimate comfort food that can be made savory or sweet. And don't get me started about Crisco: a butter and lard crust is the way to go. How to celebrate the day? Here are five selections for a slice.
5.The place: Bob Roth's Groves
The pie: Key lime
Though the folks at the shop bake other pies, this is the classic from this South Florida staple that's been around since 1964. A sample at the front counter may just convince you that you'll need a whole pie to yourself.
4. The place: Lester's Diner
The pie: Lemon meringue
All cakes and pies are made in-house at this classic 24-hour diner. Treat yourself to the most voluminous pie, a tart number heaped with a cloud of meringue.
3. The place: Meal in a Pie
The pie: Bobotie
Go for the classic at this South African stopover, the minced meat and dried fruit with Eastern spices in a flaky pocket.
2. The place: Stork's Cafe and Bakery
The pie: Storkberry
A combo pie for the berry freak that includes blueberry, cherry, strawberry, raspberry, and blackberry. Though you'd need to special-order your own pie to go, chances are you can stop by for a slice and good company.
1. The place: Upper Crust Bakery
The pie: Strawberry pie
Have your own favorites? Give a shoutout in the comments.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Pembroke Pines' Aisha Thalia a Finalist in PETA's Sexiest Vegan Next Door Contest
- Florida Beer: Swamp Ape Double Black IPA From Florida Beer Company
- South Florida's Best Eats and Drinks This Weekend: Beach Pawty, Delish 2015, Happy...
- Ben & Jerry's to Launch Beer With New Belgium and the Ice Cream BRRR-ito