Food Events on the Radar
• Himmarshee Bar and Grille and Whole Foods are like two peas in a pod.
The pair are teaming up yet again for a beer dinner on April 26 that
will feature local and national craft brew. Sample masa-crusted Chimay cheese along with local Holy Mackerel ale, maple-chipotle braised pork
belly with Dogfish 90 Minute IPA, surf 'n' turf gnocchi with Brooklyn
Local 1, and pineapple upside-down cake with Dogfish Midas Touch. The
event costs only $29 (a sampling of each of these beers runs
almost that much!) and is all-inclusive. Wow. Starts at 6:30 p.m. Call 954-524-1818.
• Todd English's Olives is turning 21 already? Actually, that's the
Olives in Boston, the celeb chef's original restaurant. But you can
celebrate the occasion at on of his newest: Wild Olives in City Place.
On April 28 and 29, customers can enjoy a three-course meal with dishes
such as house-made gnocchi with puttanesca sauce, butternut squash
lasagna, chicken Milanese, and raspberry gelato. Tax and gratuity are
not included. Please call 561-832-7771 for more info.
• If you're
like me, you run when you hear two words: Crawfish boil. Well, get
those sneakers on, because a mud bug-themed shindig is happening on
April 30 at the Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden (10901 Old Cutler
Rd., Coral Gables, 33156). From 7:30 to 11 p.m., indulge in stone crab,
cold brews, and plenty of spicy crawfish shipped direct from N'awlins.
Music from Big City Blues Bank will fuel the boil's fire. The price is
$40 per person in advance, $50 after April 26. For tickets and info,
• National Homebrew Day -- the day of recognition for the joy of brewing beer at home -- is Saturday, May 1. It's customary to celebrate it by brewing a batch, preferably in the company of other homebrewers. So head to BX Beer Depot starting at noon and brew along. Last year, revelers at BX brewed 35 gallons on site. Can you help top that? Find out more about NHBD here.
• Chef Michael Wagner of Lola's on Harrison is hosting the final installment of his Regional Cooking Series with a visit to the Pacific Northwest. He'll demonstrate and then serve the following: Washington state crab Louie salad, cedar plank Alaskan salmon with apricot-jalapeno glaze, and Oregon pinot noir caramel apples. The price is $50 per person plus tax and tip. Call 954-927-9851.
• Whole Foods Boca Raton is hosting a local tasting fair this Saturday at 10 a.m. Chef Daniel Ramos of the Sundy House in Delray Beach will preside over cooking demos and a spread of fruits and vegetables from local farmers. It's all part of Let's Retake Our Plates, a campaign designed to raise awareness about our food choices.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Forget Your Old Stuffing Recipe, Mofongo Is Where It's at In South Florida (Recipe)
Sat., Dec. 12, 7:30pm
Sun., Dec. 13, 1:00pm
Sun., Dec. 13, 6:30pm
Tue., Dec. 15, 8:00pm
- Drink Like The Pilgrims This Thanksgiving With Cider
- 3030 Ocean Stays the Course After Recent Renovations