Four Booze-Free St. Patrick's Day Drinks to Buy for Your Designated Driver
Booze-free doesn't have to mean boring on St. Patrick's Day.
By admrboltz via Wikipedia Commons
Hanging around with a bunch of tipsy "It's OK that I spit up green beer down the front of my shirt -- I'm 1/18th Irish" types can be a trying ordeal for someone who isn't partaking in the alcohol-soaked shenanigans. Show your appreciation for your DD by keeping him well supplied with festive, booze-free libations for the duration of the evening. Below are four suggestions:
4. Not-So-Wild Irish Rose -- The virgin version of this St. Patrick's Day concoction is made with equal parts lemon juice and cherry juice topped off with double the amount of soda water.
3. (Safe to Drive Home) Shillelagh -- Try to order any version of this frou-frou drink in a hard-drinking Irish bar and you're likely to be given your walking papers. But higher-end cocktail bars should have all of the ingredients -- powered sugar, lemon juice, peach juice, and strawberries or raspberries -- on hand. Also a good choice if you're entertaining at home and want to have something more festive for the DD than a two liter of Vernors.
2. Minty spritzer -- Somewhere between a mojito and limeade, this sparkling cocktail is made with fresh mint leaves, two ounces simple syrup, fresh lime juice, and soda water. A decidedly lighter and less-difficult-to-find minty St. Patrick's drink than the elusive Shamrock Shake (seriously -- is it to be found anywhere in South Florida?).
1. Fizzy juice -- The easiest and most reliable nonbooze "fancy" drink to order from a bar is a glass of cranberry juice on the rocks with a splash of soda water and a lime wedge. Heck -- you can even bring a bottle of green food coloring and add a few drops to make it more "authentically Irish" before handing it off to your friend. Slainte!
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- South Florida Food and Drink Events This Week: SunFest, Cigar City's Brewer, and Poker...
- South Florida Food and Drink Events This Weekend: Saltwater Brewery, Seafood Fest, and...
- Burger 21 Opens Monday in Fort Lauderdale; Free T-Shirts to First 100
- Florida Beer: Stiltsville Pilsner from Concrete Beach Brewery