Four Things to Drink on St. Patrick's Day Instead of Green Beer
Mmmm...delicious FD&C Green No. 3.
SpaceAgeSage via Creative Commons
Green beer - the defacto and decidedly non-authentic Official Drink of St. Patrick's Day - is the liquid equivalent of shouting "Whoooo!!" when your favorite song comes on in the club: innocent fun, but a little amateurish.
Unless you're chugging from plastic cups at a frat party, there's no good reason to drink crappy, cheap beer that has the added "bonus" of turning your tongue - and...insides - an unhealthy shade of green.
As St. Patrick's Day approaches and you fortify your liver for a Thursday spent celebrating (i.e. drinking), consider these four festive boozy drinks in lieu of that green swill:
4. Half & Half - A pint glass filled halfway with lager (like Harp) and topped off with stout (like Guinness). Zero room for a drop o' green.
3. Margarita, Mojito, Caipirnha, etc. - In case you feel like being contrarian. Suggested drinks for Cinco de Mayo include Guinness, Black & Tan or straight vodka.
2. Spiked Shamrock Shake - If St. Patrick's Day just doesn't feel like a celebration without the ingestion of green food coloring, hit the McDonald's drive-through for the Holy Grail of fast food holiday-themed nonfat milk solids. Mix in a shot of Bailey's or Rumplemintz to really get the party started (or ended).
1. Irish whiskey - Something good - Jameson, Tullamore Dew or Bushmills - straight up. No fuss, just good old-fashioned booze poured directly down the gullet.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Forget Your Old Stuffing Recipe, Mofongo Is Where It's at In South Florida (Recipe)
Sat., Dec. 12, 7:30pm
Sun., Dec. 13, 1:00pm
Sun., Dec. 13, 6:30pm
Tue., Dec. 15, 8:00pm
- Drink Like The Pilgrims This Thanksgiving With Cider
- 3030 Ocean Stays the Course After Recent Renovations