Got Bourbon on the Brain? $1000 Rare Bourbon Event at Steak 954
Bourbon, once a rough-and-tumble spirit, is enjoying a renaissance. Fueled by celebrities and chefs who Tweet pictures of their Pappy Van Winkle stash and their trips to Louisville to pick out a personal barrel to tap, bourbon has quickly become the "it" spirit, with collectors paying dearly for rare experimental and aged bottles.
If you are a serious bourbon aficionado, you might consider breaking the bank for the Bourbon on the Brain tasting event at Steak 954 on May 23 at 7 p.m. The tasting is only open to 25 enthusiasts who will have the opportunity to try at least 17 of the rarest bourbons ever bottled. The price for this evening?
A mind-boggling $1,000, of which 100% of funds raised will support the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Neurology Department to help researchers find a cure for memory disorders. The tickets are also tax-deductible and available at brotherbourbon.com.
Wes Henderson, master distiller for Angel's Envy, will be on hand to talk guests through the histories and pedigrees of these rare bourbons, which will be paired with a special menu created for the event by Steak 954's chef Jason Smith and pastry chef Sarah Magoon. The restaurant, by the way, has donated all the food for the event.
Henderson is also bringing a special blend (or two) of Angel's Envy, created especially for the event. This is also an opportunity to try nearly all of the Van Winkle bourbons, a favorite of Anthony Bourdain, Sean Brock, and Mario Batali.
The bourbon list (including a special blend Angel's Envy created solely for "Bourbon on the Brain" is as follows:
1. Jefferson's Ocean (only 250 bottles produced; last bottle sold at auction for $1,000)
2. Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 23 Year
3. Willet Family Estate 21 Year Cask Strength - (Old Heaven Hill Distillery)
4. Buffalo Trace Experimental 21st Year (only one barrel made)
5. Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 Year
6. Old Forester Birthday Bourbon '06, '09, '10, '11, '12
7. Blanton's Special Reserve (Only sold overseas)
8. Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 15 Year
9. Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year
10. E.H. Taylor Hand Selected Barrel
11. Maker's Mark 84 Proof (Mistake Bottle)
12. Jim Beam Masterpiece Limited Edition
13. Jefferson's 21 Year-Old Special Release
14. Parker's Heritage Limited Edition
15. Hirsch 20 Year-Old
16. Hillrock Estates (only sold in two states)
17. Bulliet 10 Year-Old
The special Steak 954 menu is:
Truffle lobster mac and cheese croquettes with broccoli rabe puree
Deviled eggs with white sturgeon caviar
Serrano wrapped honeydew with opal basil
Grilled Van Winkle marinated peaches with seared foie gras and dark chocolate
Duck confit on watermelon with watercress sprouts
Smoked salmon with dill crème fraiche on rye
Bourbon barbequed rock shrimp on grit cakes
Smoked New England oysters with Florida corn puree and crispy shallots
Grilled sea scallops with bourbon and bacon marmalade
Charred dry aged steak with horseradish cream and house made tater tot
Broiled Colorado Lamb lollipop with mint and pomegranate glaze
Double caramelized chocolate panna cotta
Bourbon sabayon with pecan streusel and local black raspberries
Spiced cake doughnut with bacon glaze and banana marmalade
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Florida Beer: Mal De Ojo From M.I.A. Brewing Company
Tue., March 22, 8 p.m.
Tue., March 22, 8 p.m.
- South Florida Food and Drink Events This Weekend: Jerk Fest, Sake Class, and More
- Memorial Day Weekend: Where to Eat, Drink, and Remember in South Florida