Kill The Lights: Raise a Glass to Help Sea Turtles
It's that time of year again when lights go dim along South Florida's fabulous coastline in order to help sea turtle hatchlings find their way to the ocean safely. Bright lights can disorient the babies and encourage them to migrate inland instead of toward the sea.
To encourage beachside residents and businesses to help protect nesting sea turtles, The Naked Turtle rum and Sea Turtle Conservancy is hosting a series of events Saturday, May 10 to raise the awareness of the importance of turtle-friendly lighting.
Four different locations are hosting these parties, which will feature The Naked Turtle rum. At these events you can raise a glass to the turtles, wishing them safe passages as they start their lives out to sea. The Kill The Lights parties, which feature drink specials with Naked Turtle rum throughout Saturday are as follows:
- Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale Beach: 12:30 - 6:30 p.m.
- Bimini Boatyard: 5 - 7 p.m.
- Oceans 234: 7 - 8:30 p.m.
- Kahuna Bar & Grill: 9 - 10:300 p.m.
While you're there, show support by tweeting #KillTheLights to @NakedTurtle. For every tweet, The Naked Turtle will make a contribution to the Sea Turtle Conservancy. Even if you can't make it out, tweets will still help the sea turtles -- so share the info and tweet away.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Pembroke Pines' Aisha Thalia a Finalist in PETA's Sexiest Vegan Next Door Contest
- Florida Beer: Swamp Ape Double Black IPA From Florida Beer Company
- South Florida's Best Eats and Drinks This Weekend: Beach Pawty, Delish 2015, Happy...
- Ben & Jerry's to Launch Beer With New Belgium and the Ice Cream BRRR-ito