La Granja Restaurant Closed After State Inspectors Find 73 Live Roaches
The Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation, Division of Hotels and Restaurants, is charged with inspecting all restaurants in the state. Restaurants are inspected randomly or if a complaint is issued. Findings are available to the public, including a weekly list of emergency closures and restaurants with no violations. This week, we're sharing the best and the worst.
The inspectors also also found three dead roaches (one right on the cook line) and lizard droppings. The restaurant was given the OK to reopen a day later. We called the restaurant and was told no manager was on duty to comment. Here are some of the details (don't read while eating):
- Dead roaches on premises. One dead roach at cookline, one dead roach in soda box storage area, and one dead roach on gaskets inside Frigidaire freezer.
- Live, small flying insects in food storage area.
- Nonexempt fish offered raw or undercooked has not undergone proper parasite destruction. Fish must be fully cooked or discarded. Tilapia used for ceviche.
- Presence of insects, rodents, or other pests. Five lizard droppings in dry storage area.
- Roach activity present as evidenced by live roaches found. Three live roaches in front counter area, 31 live roaches in soda box storage area, seven live roaches at cookline coolers, one live roach in dishwashing area, 21 live roaches in gaskets at Frigidaire freezer near walk-in cooler, three live roaches in shelving unit near three-compartment sink, and four live roaches by chest freezer in dry storage area.
Some other restaurants also received less-than-stellar inspection results for pesky flies, undercooked foods, and unlabeled toxic substances:
Cornerstone Cafe, located at 1515 Federal Highway in Boca Raton, was inspected on November 8 and received eight violations, including:
- Employee with no hair restraint while engaging in food preparation.
- Live flies in kitchen.
- Potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) hot held at less than 135 degrees Fahrenheit or above.* Potatoes and quiche 56°. Employee turned on case and product 65° at end of inspection.
- Spray bottle containing toxic substance not labeled.
- Raw/undercooked animal food offered and establishment has no written consumer advisory. Raw animal foods must be fully cooked prior to service.
- Live flies in kitchen.
- No proof of required state approved employee training provided for any employees.
- Spray bottle containing a food product not labeled.
La Cigale in Delray Beach received 26 violations at its November 8 inspection, including:
- Dishwasher handled soiled dishes or utensils and then handled clean dishes or utensils without washing hands.
- Potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food cold held at greater than 41 degrees Fahrenheit. Mushroom cheese sauce, roasted pepper 46°, cheese, caesar dressing 49° in flip-top cooler by prep sink. Operator discarded food. Sea food crepes, sea food cake 47° in reach in drawer across from stove in kitchen.
- Raw animal food stored over ready-to-eat food in walk-in cooler. Partially cooked sea food crepes filling above butter, vegetable etc. in walk in cooler.
- Rodent activity present as evidenced by rodent droppings found... numerous dry rodent droppings underneath bar counter.
- Accumulation of black/green mold-like substance in the interior of the ice machine.
- Clam/mussel/oyster tags not marked with last date served.
If you think the news is all bad, here are two restaurants recently inspected with no violations at all. That's like getting 100 on your algebra exam:
Razzelberry's Ice Cream, Pompano Beach (last inspected, 11/5/2013)
The Westin Diplomat pool bar, Hallandale Beach (last inspected 11/5/2013)
Follow @ CleanPlateBPB
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Last Chance to Save on New Times' Beerfest: The Full List of Brewerys
Fri., Nov. 13, 7:00pm
Thu., Dec. 3, 6:30pm
Fri., Dec. 11, 6:30pm
Tue., Dec. 15, 7:00pm
- South Florida Food & Drink Events This Weekend: Beerfest, Trader Joe's, and...
- Florida Beer: Hard Cider From Cigar City Cider and Mead