Make 'Billfold Saver' Black Bean Burgers for Your Labor Day BBQ
Vegan cookbook author, coach and athlete Ellen Jaffe Jones has a recipe for every occasion. The woman behind Vegan on $4 a Day and Paleo Vegan, has the perfect money- and animal-saving burger recipe for you.
Stuck attending a fried chicken-laden company picnic? Bring her Brussels sprout slaw. Going to a cupcake crazed baby shower? Try her hazelnut-chocolate bark. And for that Labor Day BBQ, you can't lose with her "Billfold-Saver Black Bean Burger."
At 50 cents per serving (give or take a few pennies), it's wallet (and weight) friendly -- and there'll be plenty of leftovers to keep you fed and watered over the long weekend. Check out her recipe after the jump.
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 3/4 cups cooked or canned black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white button mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 garlic clovers, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Toast the bread lightly and tear it into medium-sized pieces. Put the pieces in a food processor and process into fine crumbs. Mash the beans in a large bowl with a fork or potato masher, leaving some chunks. Add the breadcrumbs, oats, carrot, mushrooms, onion, salsa, nutritional yeast flakes, garlic, cumin, and cayenne and mix with your hands or a fork until well combined. Add more salsa until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and form into thin patties. (Small patties are less likely to break apart.)
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Put 4 of the patties in the skillet. Cook for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned on one side. Flip and continue cooking for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned on the other side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Repeat with the remaining teaspoon of oil and the 4 remaining patties.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Greenwood BBQ: "Clean" Barbecue in Lighthouse Point
Thu., Jan. 14, 7:00pm
Tue., Jan. 19, 5:30pm
Sat., Jan. 23, 7:00pm
Mon., Feb. 1, 7:00pm
- Trader Joe's Fort Lauderdale Announces Grand Opening Date
- South Florida Food & Drink Events This Week: Burger Deals, Tap Takeovers, and...