Make 'Billfold Saver' Black Bean Burgers for Your Labor Day BBQ
Vegan cookbook author, coach and athlete Ellen Jaffe Jones has a recipe for every occasion. The woman behind Vegan on $4 a Day and Paleo Vegan, has the perfect money- and animal-saving burger recipe for you.
Stuck attending a fried chicken-laden company picnic? Bring her Brussels sprout slaw. Going to a cupcake crazed baby shower? Try her hazelnut-chocolate bark. And for that Labor Day BBQ, you can't lose with her "Billfold-Saver Black Bean Burger."
At 50 cents per serving (give or take a few pennies), it's wallet (and weight) friendly -- and there'll be plenty of leftovers to keep you fed and watered over the long weekend. Check out her recipe after the jump.
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 3/4 cups cooked or canned black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white button mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 garlic clovers, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Toast the bread lightly and tear it into medium-sized pieces. Put the pieces in a food processor and process into fine crumbs. Mash the beans in a large bowl with a fork or potato masher, leaving some chunks. Add the breadcrumbs, oats, carrot, mushrooms, onion, salsa, nutritional yeast flakes, garlic, cumin, and cayenne and mix with your hands or a fork until well combined. Add more salsa until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and form into thin patties. (Small patties are less likely to break apart.)
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Put 4 of the patties in the skillet. Cook for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned on one side. Flip and continue cooking for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned on the other side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Repeat with the remaining teaspoon of oil and the 4 remaining patties.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Florida Beer: Mal De Ojo From M.I.A. Brewing Company
Tue., March 22, 8 p.m.
Tue., March 22, 8 p.m.
- South Florida Food and Drink Events This Weekend: Jerk Fest, Sake Class, and More
- Memorial Day Weekend: Where to Eat, Drink, and Remember in South Florida