Make Egg-Free Egg Nog for Christmas (Recipe)
Buttered rum? Mulled wine? Hot toddies? You call these holiday drinks? Puleeease. Eggnog puts them all to shame.
Sadly though, eggnog is hardly suitable for the dairy-free drinkers among us, what with the egg and, um, nog. Luckily, the amazing animal advocacy group, Compassion Over Killing, has a mouthwatering recipe for egg-free eggnog that'll impress all your dinner guests.
- 4 cups soy, almond, or coconut milk, vanilla or unflavored
- 6 ounces (half a package) silken tofu, extra firm
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ - ⅓ cup amaretto, Southern Comfort, brandy, or Frangelico
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Soy- or rice-based whipped cream, for garnish
- In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend until creamy. Chill at least half an hour before serving, then enjoy!
And who knows -- get enough eggnog in your carnivorous aunt and you might even be able to convince her to give veganism a try. Christmas is a time for miracles, after all.
Follow Hannah on Twitter @hannahgetshappy.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.