May is National Hamburger Month: Here's How to Celebrate in South Florida
Step aside, veggies: it's National Hamburger Month.
With all of the love burgers have gotten in the last year in South Florida, it seems superfluous to point out that Tuesday, May 1, is the start of National Hamburger Month. Do burgers really need any more veneration than they already receive?
While there has been some debate lately -- including here at Clean Plate Charlie -- as to whether the burger trend is played out, reader response and the apparent strength of the market suggest there's no need to type up the obit just yet. If you're firmly in the "hamburgers rule" camp, we've got a few ways to celebrate the month of burger love in Broward and Palm Beach counties, after the jump.
1. Riverwalk Trust Burger Battle -- Consider this an early warning; if you want to attend this event on May 11, you should probably get cracking. This has been a sellout event each year and the playing field is more intense than ever before. Returning champs The Capital Grille and Rok:Brgr are joined by other alumni like Timpano Chophouse & Martini Bar, Morton's, the Steakhouse, and Johnny V Las Olas. They're joined by tons of new contenders, four of which are outlined here by Burger Battle judge Eric Barton. Tickets are $40 to $125 and VIP tickets are available. The event is 7 to 10 p.m. at Huizenga Plaza in Fort Lauderdale.
2. Check out the new BurgerFi in Fort Lauderdale -- BurgerFi -- which is slated to expand by even more stores this year -- opened its newest franchise on April 24 on Sunrise Boulevard in Fort Lauderdale. Read a review of the Lauderdale-by-the-Sea store here.
3. Eat burgers at a food truck rally -- The Gourmet Truck Expo on Saturday, May 19, in Margate will feature a few dozen food trucks, including Latin Burger and The Fire Within (who regularly feature the Fireburger). Top Fries also are scheduled to appear, so you can get a side, too. The gathering will be at the northeast corner of SR-7 and Margate Boulevard from 6 to 10 p.m. Bring cash if you want to buy a burger.
4. Taste of the Nation - Fort Lauderdale -- Share Our Strength's Taste of the Nation is a way to celebrate your love of the burger while indulging in tons of other varieties of food, some of which won't come on a bun. Burger-friendly joints like Burger Bar by Chef Allen, Dave & Busters, and Aruba Beach Cafe are among the restaurants scheduled to appear. The event is Thursday, May 17, in the Broward County Convention Center. Tickets are $90 to $160 and proceeds benefit programs that help to fight childhood hunger.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More RESTAURANTS News
- No More Pizza: Pizzeria Oceano Becomes Jerk Oceano in Lantana
Mon., Feb. 1, 7:00pm
Thu., Feb. 25, 7:00pm
Thu., Feb. 25, 7:00pm
Sun., Feb. 28, 6:00pm
- Florida Beer: Route 90 Rye Pale Ale From Engine 15 Brewing Company
- Fourth-Annual All-You-Can-Eat Boca Burger Battle Returns to Sanborn Square