National IPA Day Is August 1: Where to Get Florida IPA Taps and Dogfish Head 120 Min IPA
There is something you should know about beer: There is a holiday for virtually everything about beer that is celebrated somewhere, somehow. The latest one is National IPA Day, which gives glory to hops, bittering units, and IPAs.
International IPA Day is always the first Thursday in August -- which happens to be this Thursday. Aside from the Florida IPA taps featured at several locations around Broward and Palm Beach counties, some of them will have limited quantities of super-rare Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA available. Before we get into that, here is a brief history on India India Pale Ales.
India pale ales are relatively new along the timeline of beer history, the story having begun in the 18th Century, when George Hodgson of the Bow Brewery sold his beers to the officers and captains of the East India Co., who shipped them all the way to India.
However, the long journey, temperature changes, and motion of the sea had a particular aging effect on the beer that sailors and colonists loved. It was not until 1856 in an advertisement when the Leeds Intelligencer formally identified the India Pale Ale. Ten years later, IPAs, which typically contained a higher content of hops, were widely brewed.
Only the female flowering cones of hops plants (humulus lupulus) are used and do two things to beer: preserve the beer by warding off spoiling bacteria and stabilize the beer by filtering, adding head retention, and flavoring -- which adds bitterness.
International bittering units (IBU) measure the bitterness of beer. Bittering units for every liter of beer. One IBU contains 1 milligram of acid per liter.
Now for the good stuff. All three South Florida World of Beer locations (Coconut Creek, West Palm Beach, and Wellington) will have their taps essentially overrun by IPAs, but the WoB in West Palm Beach has received several bottles of Dogfish Head 120 and will be raffling them off. No word yet on ticket or retail prices. Fort Lauderdale's Tap42 is receiving Dogfish Head 120 as well, quantity: extremely limited.
The Coffee District in Delray Beach has also acquired some bottles of Dogfish Head 120.
For the rest of the WoBs, their taps will include:
- Blue Point Hoptical Illusion
- Hinterland White Cap IPA
- Inlet Brewing Monk IPA
- Due South Hopicana
- Kentucky IPA
- Flying Dog Raging Bitch
- Breckenridge 471
- Dogfish Head Rhizing Bines (and they even have the proper glassware for this beer)
- Coronado Brewing Frog's Breath IPA
- Lexington Brewing Kentucky IPA
- Funkky Buddha Pineapple Hop Gun IPA
- Two Brother's Laughing Panda Green Tea IPA"
- Widmer Brothers Hopside Down IPA
- Doc's Dry-Hopped Hard Apple Cider
- Bass IPA
- Inlet Monk IPA
Tap42 also has an impressive list of IPA taps. They include:
- Bells Two Hearted Ale
- Harpoon IPA
- Harpoon Leviathan Imperial IPA
- Lagunitas IPA
- Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA
- Florida Brewing Swamp Ape IPA
- Cigar City Jai Alai IPA
- Green Flash West Coast IPA
- Green Flash Hop Odyssey Citra Session IPA
- Widmer Brothers Hopside Down IPA
And you might also want to check out the IPAs at Laser Wolf in Fort Lauderdale, where they also have DFH 120 on tap and where all of their staff are Certified Beer Servers:
As far as the rest of the places, some which were already mentioned, that received DFH 120 (bottle and draft) thanks to Brown Distributing of Florida, they are:
- Riverside Market
- Big City Tavern
- Stout Irish Pub
- Parrot Lounge
- Whole Foods
- Original Fat Cat's
- Sybarite Pig
- Park Tavern
- Funky Buddha Lounge
- The Brass Tap
- Bx Beer Depot
- Grease Burger Bar
- Sweetwater Bar and Grill
- Barrel and Grain
- AJ's Beer City
- WoB (Coconut Creek, Clematis and Wellington)
- Pat's Beverages and Liquor in Delray Beach
- Jo Jo's Raw Bar and Grill-Wellington
- Kenny's Market in Boynton Beach
- ABC Fine Wine and Spirits (Northlake, Indiantown and Southern)
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Valentine's Day 2016 Dinners in Broward and Palm Beach
Thu., Feb. 25, 8:00pm
Sat., Feb. 27, 7:00pm
Sun., Feb. 28, 7:00pm
Tue., Mar. 1, 8:00pm
- South Florida Food and Drink Events This Weekend: Mardi Gras Bar Crawl, Food Truck...
- #FloridaBeerFriday: A-10 Hophog Red IPA From Copperpoint Brewing Company