New Menu at Lips, Kosher Demos at Winn-Dixie
• Lips, Fort Lauderdale's drag show dinner theater, deserves credit: It's tough to continually pump out menu items that feature nearly as many witty double entandres as the riotous stage show. But somehow, the drag supper club continues to do it. The restaurant is rolling out a host of new menu items for Summer, some of which are even named after local talent. Take the Twa Larouge lettuce wraps, for example -- these fresh Asian-inspired wraps which chicken and veggies are as nutty as the lady who inspired them. Then there's the Misty Eyez Atlantic salmon, a hot, grilled fillet made saucy with lemon buerre blanc. Each of the new appetizers runs $7 to $13, and the entrees are priced at $16 to $27, making a meal that works your funny bone (and more) well within reach. Call 954-567-0987.
• Rosh Hashanah's right around the corner, and lest you subject your
family to jarred gefilte fish for another year, you better get cookin'.
Doing so is easy thanks to Winn-Dixie's Rosh Hashanah cooking demos,
held at four supermarket locations around South Florida. Chef Doris
Salinas, a cookbook author specializing in recipes from the Chosen
People, will demonstrate recipes like how to make your own gefilte fish
with tomato sauce and Israeli couscous with mushrooms. Each demo is
completely free. Locations and times are:
-Thursday, August 26 from 5 to 7 p.m.,
Winn-Dixie, 3850 North 46th Ave.,
-Sunday, August 29 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Winn-Dixie, 7015 N.
-Sunday, August 29 from 3 to 5 p.m., Winn-Dixie,
20417 Biscayne Blvd.,
-Thursday, September 2 from 5 to 7 p.m., Winn-Dixie,
7024 Beracasa Way,
• The Friends of the Museum of Discovery and Science thisThursday, August 26 from 6 to 8 p.m. for an evening of wine at the Grateful Palate (817 SE 17th St., in Fort Lauderdale). The wine tasting, $35 for Friends of MODS members and $45 for non-members, will benefit the Museum. For more information, please visit http://tinyurl.com/36lakh5, or call Ethel Lipoff at 954-713-0906.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Night + Day: Seven Things to Do in South Florida This Week
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 3, 8:00pm
Sat., Oct. 24, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 31, 8:00pm
- Amazon Is Planning Drive-Through Grocery Concept; Could It Dethrone Publix in Florida?
- Midwestern Home Cooking at Knucklehead Burgers