New Study Says Beer is Good... For the Economy
Right now, everyone is getting all excited in anticipation of South Florida Beer Week. Mainly, the focus is on the art of brewing and, well, drinking. But a recently released study, by the Center of Applied Business & Economic Research, at the University of Delaware for the National Beer Wholesalers Association, gives Beer Geeks yet another reason to celebrate.
It turns out beer is good not just for your taste-buds and sense of merriment. It makes a huge impact--on the economy.
- Funky Buddha Lounge's Ryan Sentz Talks South Florida Beer Week and Plans for 2013
- Cigar City Brewing at South Florida Beer Week: CCB's Phil Palmisano Explains Why Cans are Better and More
- South Florida Beer Week is January 19-26, 2013 (Check out the Initial Schedule of Events)
The study, which was based on 3,333 beer distribution establishments throughout the country--all 50 states and Washington D.C.--concluded that beer distribution generates $10.3 billion in revenue: almost as much as the $11 billion generated from consumption. According to the study that revenue is, "sufficient to fund nearly 400 million hours of public school teacher instruction or to provide maintenance of nearly 400,000 miles of highways in the U.S. each year."
In Florida, 125 beer distributors are responsible for 20,909 jobs in direct and indirect jobs, which accounts for over $6.3 million in tax revenue. When combined with community capital investments, charitable events, local economic development, and community involvement the total economic impact reaches $655,155,163 in taxes. According to the study, "The total taxes collected in Florida by federal, state and local governments are sufficient to fund 26,705,984 teacher hours or to provide maintenance for 11,114 miles of highways in Florida for a year."
Like you needed another reason to celebrate.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Fourth-Annual All-You-Can-Eat Boca Burger Battle Returns to Sanborn Square
Mon., Feb. 1, 7:00pm
Thu., Feb. 25, 7:00pm
Thu., Feb. 25, 7:00pm
Sun., Feb. 28, 6:00pm
- Delray’s Chef vs. Chef Week Three: Victor Franco, Oceans 234, and Victor Meneses of El...
- Ben & Jerry's Renames Cookie Dough Flavor I Dough, I Dough in Honor of...