PETA Coffee: A Cruelty-Free Wake-Up Call
PETA Coffee : For guilt-free mornings.
People For The Ethical Treatment of Animals is now in the coffee trade, selling organic coffee from Central America that's pesticide and beast of burden free.
The animal rights organization has even set up its own website for the politically-correct java. PetaCoffee.com sells three different kinds of coffee, Flying Free French Roast ($9.99/lb), Morning Birdsong Breakfast Blend ($9.99/lb), and No Ruffled Feathers Decaf ($10.59/lb).
According to the website, all three coffee offer the same features:
- The coffee is grown at high altitudes over 3000 feet. (The best coffee is grown in the high mountains in the tropics.)
- 100% Arabica.
- 100% USDA organic certified by OCIA.
- Shade-grown on tropical, highland rainforests of Central America. (Shade-grown coffee is grown in and amongst the forest canopy - maintaining animal habitats and rainforests themselves.)
- Beast of Burden Free. This means no animals were used in the farming or harvesting of these coffee beans.
PETA also offers a coffee club, where customers can opt to have recurring coffee shipments sent to them. The benefits include free or reduced shipping and loyalty points that can be accrued for free coffee.
Got a hard to buy for animal activist friend who didn't appreciate the I Love Bacon t-shirt you gave him last Christmas? Make amends with a PETA coffee gift set, which includes a sampler of each coffee and a PETA mug ($34.95).
In addition, a portion of proceeds from PETA coffee goes to the organization's Flying Free campaign, which educates the public on the pet bird industry.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- LauderAle Celebrated One-Year Anniversary With New Brews (Photos)
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 3, 8:00pm
Sat., Oct. 24, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 31, 8:00pm
- South Florida Food & Drink Events This Week: National Lasagna Day, Food Trucks,...
- Savor Our City Expands Culinary Food Tours Into Wilton Manors