Recipe: Portuguese Date Dip (From Chef John Paul Kline)
Chef John Paul Kline makes all kinds of delicious treats for private clients through his Delray Beach catering business, John Paul Custom Cuisine.
Today, he shares his recipe for Portuguese Date Dip.
Says Kline: "It is consistently well-received and very versatile in its applications, from canapes to that little question in your main entrée, adding flavor and depth. Not to mention, it's high in protein and iron content. I came up with this while studying massage therapy and cooking in the south of Portugal, and it has been under consistent evolution ever since."
Portuguese Date Dip:
Serves 8 to 10 people (depending on application)
6 medjool dates (pitted)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
3 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
3 tbsp chopped chives
1/8 tsp chili flake
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1. Chill your dates and brunoise (dice them very small).
2. Mix well with your olive oil and salt to keep from clumping. (Dates have a high sugar content and become sticky; the oil and salt help reduce this).
3. Fold in the remaining ingredients, tasting and adjusting to your specific taste. Garlic may be quickly blanched prior to dicing to reduce its pungency if you prefer.
Says Kline: "This mixture tastes great placed on a crostini with a touch of blue cheese. It may also be mixed with roasted potatoes and served with your favorite meat. I believe it very versatile. Enjoy and play with it!"
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Want to Own a Mobile Pig-Roasting Franchise? PigOut Catering Now Expanding to South...
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 3, 8:00pm
Sat., Oct. 24, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 31, 8:00pm
- Florida Beer: St. Peter’s Saison de Banc Vert From Green Bench Brewing
- South Florida Food & Drink Events This Weekend: Tap Takeover, Pop-Up Dinner, and $3 Drinks