Recipe: Shrimp and Grits From Bulldog Barbecue
Bulldog BBQ Shrimp and Grits
Chef Howie Kleinberg wanted to create a contemporary approach to a traditional barbecue favorite, shrimp and grits. He often serves it for special events like the BubbleQ, where he pairs it with a crisp Chardonnay.
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
½ cup diced tomato
2 tablespoons Bulldog's dry rub
4 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
¼ cup chopped garlic
¾ to 1 cup heavy cream
¼ cup chopped shallots
6 tablespoons white cheddar cheese
1 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 cup hominy grits
½ cup sliced scallions, white and tender
¼ cup dry white wine
green parts, for garnish
1. In a bowl, combine the shrimp with the dry rub and 3 tablespoons of oil. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
2. Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil, half of the garlic, and half of the shallots; cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Add the grits and cook, stirring constantly, until the stock has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
3. Heat a sauté pan over high heat. Add the shrimp and sauté until opaque, 11/2 to 2 minutes. Add the remaining 2 tablespooons garlic and the remaining 2 tablespoons shallots, and cook until translucent, about 1 minute. Deglaze the pan with the wine. Then add the tomato, swirl in 2 tablespoons of the butter, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. Return the grits to medium heat. Add the cream in ¼ cup increments, stirring constantly, until the texture is smooth and creamy. Add the cheese, remaining 2 tablespoons butter, and parsley, and heat through. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the grits into 2 to 4 serving bowls and place the shrimp on top. Garnish with the scallions, and serve.
Follow Clean Plate Charlie on Twitter: @CleanPlateBPB.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Tropical Storm Erika: Restaurants and Bars Staying Open, Having Hurricane Parties and...
Thu., Jan. 14, 7:00pm
Tue., Jan. 19, 5:30pm
Sat., Jan. 23, 7:00pm
Mon., Feb. 1, 7:00pm
- Pop-Up Bar at FAT Village Art Walk Serves Craft Cocktails for a Good Cause
- Florida Beer: Category 4 IPA From Due South Brewing Company