Restaurant News: Plantation Hooks Bonefish, Gastropub Coming to WPB, Gold Medal Whine
• It's hard catching a real bonefish, but catching a Bonefish Grill will get even easier when the Tampa-based chain opens its 43rd Florida restaurant later this month, this one in Plantation. If you've been to one, you know the drill -- scarf some fried "Bam Bam Shrimp"; your fish, get it grilled, add a sauce; swill a glass or two of wine; and tell the kids to STFU while Mommy and Daddy try to eat at least one meal in peace.
• The old Spoto's Oyster Bar in West Palm has been bought by a couple of local restaurant vets and will be reborn as Gratify, a gastropub with a neo-industrial look. Gene Playter and Scott Helm had the old Samba Room on Clematis Street a few years back and for their new place are planning a menu of affordable small plates. Look for it to open by the end of the year.
• Ever go to the store for a bottle of wine and see those little stickers or "shelf talkers" bragging about winning gold or double-gold or silver medals at some wine competition and go WFT? Robert Hodgson, a retired professor and owner of a small California winery, did too. So he checked up on the results of 4,000-plus wines entered in 13 major U.S. wine competitions in 2003 and discovered that virtually all (like 98 percent) of the wines that won a gold medal in one competition were voted barely above or below average in at least one other. Which means that wine you're looking at is either the greatest thing since the invention of cork or isn't good enough to wash your socks. You pays your money, and you takes your choice.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Want to Own a Mobile Pig-Roasting Franchise? PigOut Catering Now Expanding to South...
Sat., Sep. 19, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 3, 8:00pm
Sat., Oct. 24, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 31, 8:00pm
- Florida Beer: St. Peter’s Saison de Banc Vert From Green Bench Brewing
- South Florida Food & Drink Events This Weekend: Tap Takeover, Pop-Up Dinner, and $3 Drinks