Restaurant News: Pops Corn Pops Up in Fort Lauderdale, Market 17 Hosts Paul Hobbs Wine Dinner, Publix Rolls Out Private Label Cheese
• Pops Corn, the Pembroke Pines purveyor of haute popcorn spiked with caramel, cheddar cheese, chocolate, and more, has opened a third local outlet just off A1A in Fort Lauderdale. Located at 901 E. Sunrise Lane (954-567-6002), the new Pops is also peddling Yo Mama's ice cream, which, like the popcorn, is made in-house.
• Market 17, the newish Fort Lauderdale eatery determined to grow the "farm to table" ethos in Broward County, is hosting a winemaker dinner with one of California's best vintners no one besides committed cork dorks has probably ever heard of. Paul Hobbs, who runs his own eponymous winery and has worked at Robert Mondavi and Opus One, among others, will pour six of his wines at a five-course dinner to take place at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, January 27. Cost is $175 per person. To make rezzies, visit market17.net/hobbs.html or call 954-835-5507.
• Hold the cheesy jokes, because your local Publix really is getting cheesier, introducing its own line of private-label "gourmet" domestic and imported cheeses. Domestic Swiss, cheddar, goat, and Asiago are already on store shelves, with mozzarella balls and logs to come. Imported cheeses include Parmigiana-Reggiano, manchego, Brie, and Camembert. OK, you can make those cheesy jokes now.
Follow Clean Plate Charlie on Twitter: @CleanPlateBPB.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Pembroke Pines' Aisha Thalia a Finalist in PETA's Sexiest Vegan Next Door Contest
- Florida Beer: Swamp Ape Double Black IPA From Florida Beer Company
- South Florida's Best Eats and Drinks This Weekend: Beach Pawty, Delish 2015, Happy...
- Ben & Jerry's to Launch Beer With New Belgium and the Ice Cream BRRR-ito