Restaurant News: The Green Gourmet Coming to Delray, Lunch for Under $10, Dumb 'n' Dumpster
Don't dumpster dive if you're drowzy. Details after the jump.
• Good for you, good for the environment. That's the idea behind Joey Giannuzzi's The Green Gourmet, a planet and palate-friendly meals-to-go market slated to open in West Delray in late September or early October. Formerly chef at Henry's in Delray, Giannuzzi will be dishing contemporary American comfort food for breakfast, lunch and dinner, all with an emphasis on organic, natural and sustainable ingredients. Lots of stuff for vegetarians and vegans too. The same philosophy will extend to the market itself, with energy-efficient kitchen equipment, recycled materials used in construction and biodegradable packaging.
• Let's see, Wall Street gets a billion-gazillion dollars of
your money in a stimulus package, you get lunch for under $10 at
CityPlace. Well, it's better than nothing. As part of the West Palm
retail-residential complex's 1909 Founders Package, a number of
restaurants are offering cheapie lunch specials. (NOTE: Go here,
print out the page and submit it to the restaurant if you want to take
advantage of any of these.) At Brewzzi, any two items off its Lunch
Stimulus list go for $8.95; at Cheeburger Cheeburger you can get two
burgers and small fries for $9.09; Kona Grill is offering "Perfect
Pairings" of salads, soups, sandwiches and sushi for $8.75; at Mamma
Che Buono you can get any panino you want plus a cappuchino for $9.09.
(You gotta register on their website first, though.) .
From the Stoopid File. Someone named Kevin Hallaran gave a whole new
meaning to dumpster diving when he fell asleep inside one of the big
garbage bins behind a Tampa restaurant. As usually happens, the bin got
picked up and dumped into a garbage truck early in the morning. . .
with Hallaran still inside. The truck crew apparently heard Hallaran
banging on the sides and screaming for help, so they called cops and
paramedics to get him out. Luckily, they heard him before activating
the truck's compactor, which would have really ruined the dumbfuck's
morning. Think about that next time your alarm clock goes off at 6 a.m.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- #FloridaBeerFriday: Circa 1926 Tangerine Wheat From Darwin Brewing
Sat., Dec. 12, 7:30pm
Sun., Dec. 13, 1:00pm
Sun., Dec. 13, 6:30pm
Tue., Dec. 15, 8:00pm
- South Florida Food & Drink Events This Weekend: Black Friday Beers, Cocktails for...
- South Florida Grocery and Liquor Stores Open on Thanksgiving Day