Restaurant News: Top Chef, Bad Karma, Fire & Ice Cream
Just don't order the toasted coconut.
Photo by Flickr user Dots Treats Cupcakes
• Fire and ice cream is not a happy marriage, as the folks at Palm
Beach's Sprinkles ice cream shop found out last weekend. A kitchen fire
gutted the shop, which not only dishes everyone's favorite hot-weather
treat but breakfast, lunch, and assorted retail items. Sprinkles
expects to be again serving its ice cream, lauded as best in the county
in 2003 by People magazine, by the time "season" gets underway later
• What happens in Vegas gets splashed all over cable TV, and Ron Duprat, executive chef of the Hollywood Beach Marriott, will be doing some of the splashing as one of the contestants on this year's Top Chef: Las Vegas, set to air on the Bravo channel on Wednesday, August 19, at 9 p.m. Duprat, 40, is a native of Haiti who began cooking as a child with his grandmother and went on to cook at the Noble House and Pelican Bay in Naples and the Montauk Yacht Club in New York. He joins 16 other contestants, plus the usual panel of judges and special guests like Wolfgang Puck, Hubert Keller, Daniel Boulud, and our own Michelle Bernstein.
• Karma, they say, is a bitch. And some thieving doofus or doofuses is/are going to get bitch-slapped big time after stealing - -not once, but twice -- a giant Buddha's head from Saba restaurant in Boca Raton. Owner Zack Gardner, a native of Vietnam and practicing Buddhist, had a 150-pound, four-foot cement head stolen from in front of his restaurant July 13. When he heard about the theft, Nicolas Jacobsen, proprietor of Classic Chandeliers in West Palm Beach, donated a statue of the Buddha he'd picked up in China to the restaurant. Two weeks later, the 400-pound wooden statue was, you guessed, ripped off. No suspects in custody yet, but you can bet that getting busted is going to be the least of these nitwits' troubles.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Tunie's, Locally-Owned, Affordable Natural Grocer, Plans South Florida Expansion
Mon., Feb. 1, 7:00pm
Thu., Feb. 25, 7:00pm
Thu., Feb. 25, 7:00pm
Sun., Feb. 28, 6:00pm
- Night + Day: Eight Things to Do This Week in Broward and Palm Beach Counties
- Tuesdays are "Dog Days" at Sloan's Ice Cream