Restaurant News: Top Chef Gilbert Leaves PGA, Ice King Comes to Wellington, Williams-Sonoma Offers Classes
• It's "pack your knives and go" time for former Top Chef contestant Kenny Gilbert again. This time, though, it's by his own choice. It seems that less than two months after he signed on as chef at PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens, he's signed off to move to Jacksonville and become part-owner of what's planned to be a chain of island-themed restaurants called Nippers. Let's hope it works out better than the last local Top Chef competitor to partner up on his own place. Anyone remember Steven Asprinio?
• Just in time to provide some blessed relief from summer's face-sucking heat and humidity is the Ice King of Wellington (13860 Wellington Trace, 561-792-2900), purveyor of more than three dozen flavors of Italian ice, from piña colada and bubble gum to licorice and mint chocolate chip. The ice is brought in from the Lemon Ice King of Corona, a New York institution that got its 15 minutes of media fame in the credits of the TV show King of Queens.
• Brush up on your culinary skills with September's series of Sunday cooking technique classes offered at local Williams-Sonoma stores. The September 12 class focuses on risotto, September 19 on indoor grilling, and September 26 on fall baking. Classes are free, but reservations are recommended. Call your local W-S for times and rezzies.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Win Free Chick-fil-A for a Year at Deerfield Beach Location's Grand Opening September 9
Sat., Oct. 31, 8:00pm
Fri., Dec. 11, 6:30pm
Thu., Jan. 14, 7:00pm
Tue., Jan. 19, 5:30pm
- South Florida Food & Drink Events This Weekend: Indian Cuisine, Late Nights, and...
- Florida Beer: Trapeze Monk Belgian Style Wit From Big Top Brewing Company