Six Food and Drink Events This Week in Broward and Palm Beach Counties
Big Kahuna is said to be riding the wave of the new Hollywood food truck rally.
We're still a few months away from season really taking hold in South Florida, but that doesn't mean you have to stay tethered to the couch during the week. There are still lots of reasons to venture out and feast with strangers or put a few back with your friends. Here, we offer six food and drink events hitting town this week:
- Hells yeah - another Miami Food Trucks weekly rally has been added to the works, once again proving the legs of this seemingly unstoppable culinary trend. The new night is at Arts Park in Young Circle in downtown Hollywood. Tonight kicks off the start of what is advertised to be a weekly shindig, where food truck foodies are invited to bring blankets, chairs, and cash and dig into the goods offered by vendors like Big Kahuna, Latin Burger & Taco, Ms. Cheezious, and Mr. Good Stuff. The food mecca is 5:30 to 10 p.m. Mondays.
- If you long to move to Paris not for the culture and the beautiful women but rather the right to take your dog with you everywhere you go, you'll want to check out DIG n' Dogs from 6 to 8 p.m. at DIG Restaurant -- which recently experienced some sort of personnel change-up. The event is open to you and your well-behaved, leashed pooch -- if you've got a Cujo, please leave him at home for the evening. For $25 at the door, you'll get one drink, appetizers, an auction ticket, and a goody bag. Proceeds benefit the Canine Companions for Independence. Space is limited, so call ahead to ensure you'll be able to get in at the door -- 561-638-0500.
- Boca Festival Days is in full swing, offering valid excuses to hit the town weeknights to pamper yourself with comfortably upscale food and drink, 'cause -- hey, it's all for a good cause. "Party to the Max!" from 6 to 8 p.m. is one of those midweek festivities, with a $25 admission fee going to Hospice by the Sea, that provides services for families in Palm Beach and Broward counties. The event is at Max's Grille in Boca Raton, and entry grants you two drinks and hors d'oeuvres.
- Get your cocktail shaken (or stirred, poured, what have you) by a local celeb at the Celebrity Shake Up! at Morton's, the Steakhouse in Boca Raton. While we can't promise that you'll spot the likes of Tom Cruise, or even Vanilla Ice wielding a wineglass, the behind-the-bar roster will include Palm Beach County names like Frank Barbieri (PBC school board chair), among others. The cost is $25 if you reserve a spot by Wednesday or $40 at the door. Proceeds benefit Best Foot Forward Foundation. Call 561-470-8300.
- Delray Beach has hipped up its community arts fair formerly known as Arts & Jazz, replacing it with the more expansive Arts, Beats, & Eats. The event's first "International Promenade" is this week from 6 to 10 p.m. along Atlantic Avenue in downtown Delray. Admission is free to hear bands and check out the art -- which promises to be more cutting-edge than in events past -- and a $20 wristband will allow you to get easy access to tasting bars offering international spirits. Plenty of dining options available throughout the city.
- Don't lie. You love free stuff. Who doesn't? The Cheese Course in Mizner Park in Boca Raton knows this and is thereby offering a smattering of free cheese and wine samples every Friday night in August. Arrive between 6 and 9 p.m. this week and sample summer cheeses paired with the appropriate wine. The pairing is free and open to the public.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Trader Joe's Davie Opens Friday, Fort Lauderdale Location Is Next
Sat., Nov. 7, 7:00pm
Fri., Nov. 13, 7:00pm
Thu., Dec. 3, 6:30pm
Fri., Dec. 11, 6:30pm
- Where (Else) to Score Pumpkin Drinks in South Florida
- The Nine Best Restaurants in Hollywood