Steve Martorano's Web Cooking Series Returns: Make His Eggplant Stack (Recipe)
Fort Lauderdale's most colorful cook is back and better than ever with season two of his web cooking series.
We're talking, of course, about Steve Martorano's Italian-American Kitchen. The cooking show, filmed at Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino Hollywood, shows us how to make his favorite classic Italian-American dishes - just like the brawny restaurateur grew up with in South Philly!
The first episode of the eight-episode series is up. In it, Martorano demonstrates how to prepare grilled sausage with summer salad.
Future episodes will tackle macaroni carbonara; Steve's famous eggplant stack; stuffed mozzarella with broccoli rabe, linguini puttanesca, chicken Sicilian, veal picatta; and rigatoni with Sunday pork gravy.
Get your appetites ready and watch at seminolehardrockhollywood.com/yocuz.
Here's a recipe for Martorano's famous eggplant stack (just in time for the weekend):
Steve Martorano's Eggplant Stack
1 medium eggplant, sliced
kosher salt, to taste
1 tbs. of garlic powder
Crushed black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
Egg wash (with 2 eggs, pinch of salt and pepper, and grated cheese)
1 cup of breadcrumbs
1 cup of extra virgin olive oil (for quick fry)
1 tomato, sliced
1 tbsp. of balsamic vinegar
1 lb. of fresh mozzarella
Arugula or any mixed greens
Chili flakes, to taste
1. Cut the eggplant into half inch thick slices. Then, season the eggplant slices with salt, garlic powder and pepper.
2. Coat the eggplant in flour, in egg wash and in breadcrumbs.
3. Place the seasoned eggplant in the fridge for about 20 minutes. Then, quickly fry the slices in hot extra virgin olive oil until they are a nice golden brown. Make sure to drain the excess oil over a napkin.
To Plate: Place one slice of eggplant. Then, add a sliced tomato, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and a slice of fresh mozzarella. Repeat this step one more time. Lastly, top the dish with arugula, chili flakes, Parmigiano Reggiano, a balsamic glaze and extra virgin olive oil.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Vegan Author Victoria Moran to Speak at Friday's EarthSave Dinner
Tue., March 22, 8 p.m.
Tue., March 22, 8 p.m.
- Fort Lauderdale's Keg on Sixth to Become Riverside Market South
- Let Food Be Your Medicine at Dosha Ayurveda Cafe & Juice Bar