Ten Reasons to Check Out the Fresh Market Opening on February 1
Tomorrow at 9 a.m. is the opening of the Fort Lauderdale Fresh Market, an occasion marked by the breaking of a wheel of Parmigiano-Reggiano. From the Emilia-Romagna region of Italy, this cow's-milk cheese goes through a number of processes as it's shaped, branded, brined, and aged for a year before sale. Learn more at the opening, then pick some up for yourself should you choose, for $15.99 a pound, $5 off the store price.
The Fresh Market on Federal Highway is a 22,800-square-foot store that offers 30 types of breads, 14 pies a day, a range of meats and cheeses, and 400 organic items. If the selection remains as stocked as today's walk-through, it's decadent.
Looking for other reasons to try the Fresh Market? More after the jump.
9. In addition to this prosciutto, the deli department offers seven sandwiches a day for $6.99 each. Among items to go are four types of wings: plain, Buffalo, sweet and tangy, and teriyaki. And the rotisserie section includes turkey breast, pork, chicken, and salmon.
8. A handful of 90-point wines ranked by Wine Spectator is priced below $20.
7. And a mixed six of beer is $8.99.
6. Fresh Market sells 250 cheeses from around the world.
5. The center of the store is for those who need their candy fix. I'd veer toward the dark-chocolate-bar section.
4. You can make your own peanut butter, plain or honey roasted.
3. With a stocked spice and dried things section, you'll likely be able to find star anise here.
2. Prime- and choice-grade meats are sold at the butcher counter. Over in seafood, some fish is sourced locally, with grouper ringing in at $18.99 a pound, for example.
1. The produce section is staged with attention to light and color. It's
not always local, but "produce and meat are the crown jewels," said Leo,
the store manager on today's tour.
The Fresh Market
Grand Opening: Doors 9 a.m.
424 N. Federal Highway
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More RESTAURANTS News
- No More Pizza: Pizzeria Oceano Becomes Jerk Oceano in Lantana
Mon., Feb. 1, 7:00pm
Thu., Feb. 25, 7:00pm
Thu., Feb. 25, 7:00pm
Sun., Feb. 28, 6:00pm
- Florida Beer: Route 90 Rye Pale Ale From Engine 15 Brewing Company
- Fourth-Annual All-You-Can-Eat Boca Burger Battle Returns to Sanborn Square