Ten Reasons to Check Out the Fresh Market Opening on February 1
Tomorrow at 9 a.m. is the opening of the Fort Lauderdale Fresh Market, an occasion marked by the breaking of a wheel of Parmigiano-Reggiano. From the Emilia-Romagna region of Italy, this cow's-milk cheese goes through a number of processes as it's shaped, branded, brined, and aged for a year before sale. Learn more at the opening, then pick some up for yourself should you choose, for $15.99 a pound, $5 off the store price.
The Fresh Market on Federal Highway is a 22,800-square-foot store that offers 30 types of breads, 14 pies a day, a range of meats and cheeses, and 400 organic items. If the selection remains as stocked as today's walk-through, it's decadent.
Looking for other reasons to try the Fresh Market? More after the jump.
9. In addition to this prosciutto, the deli department offers seven sandwiches a day for $6.99 each. Among items to go are four types of wings: plain, Buffalo, sweet and tangy, and teriyaki. And the rotisserie section includes turkey breast, pork, chicken, and salmon.
8. A handful of 90-point wines ranked by Wine Spectator is priced below $20.
7. And a mixed six of beer is $8.99.
6. Fresh Market sells 250 cheeses from around the world.
5. The center of the store is for those who need their candy fix. I'd veer toward the dark-chocolate-bar section.
4. You can make your own peanut butter, plain or honey roasted.
3. With a stocked spice and dried things section, you'll likely be able to find star anise here.
2. Prime- and choice-grade meats are sold at the butcher counter. Over in seafood, some fish is sourced locally, with grouper ringing in at $18.99 a pound, for example.
1. The produce section is staged with attention to light and color. It's
not always local, but "produce and meat are the crown jewels," said Leo,
the store manager on today's tour.
The Fresh Market
Grand Opening: Doors 9 a.m.
424 N. Federal Highway
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Fifth Annual Deerfield Beach Wine and Food Festival Returns May 30
Tue., March 22, 8 p.m.
Tue., March 22, 8 p.m.
- W Fort Lauderdale Hotel Kicks Off Salvation Summer Sunday Pool Party (Photos)
- Boca's Wick Theatre Channels Tavern on the Green With New Tavern Restaurant