Thanksgiving Philly-Style: Make Steve Martorano's Mushroom Side Dish
Though tradition dictates a Thanksgiving meal filled with turkey, cranberry sauce, and sweet potatoes, most families find a way to throw their own traditional favorites into the mix...and everyone has a favorite side.
Some families serve green bean casseroles, while others have a side of sausage or pasta. Some people devour Brussels sprouts or opt to fill their plate with heaps of candied yams with marshmallow topping. It's a way of putting a personal spin on one of the most important meals of the year.
Steve Martorano's favorite Thanksgiving side dish surprised even us. The Cafe Martorano restaurateur/cook chooses mushrooms over anything else at the holiday table.
His South Philly-style mushrooms pay homage to his roots, and provide a taste of home for the holidays. Happy Thanksgiving, cuz!
South Philly-style Mushrooms
Yield: Four servings
2 pounds mixed mushrooms, such as oyster mushrooms, shitake mushrooms, portobello mushrooms (chopped) and button mushrooms
4 cloves of garlic
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup fresh Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
½ cup toasted breadcrumbs
1. Crush the four cloves of garlic with the flat side of a kitchen knife and sauté in extra virgin olive oil over low to medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Once the garlic is browned, add the crushed red pepper flakes and the mushrooms. Sauté for 8 to 10 minutes over medium heat. Season the mushrooms with kosher salt, crushed black pepper and granulated garlic.
3. Continue to cook for 2 to 3 more minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft.
4. After the mushrooms are cooked, transfer to a napkin to dry off excess olive oil, as the dish should be served dry, not wet.
5. Before serving top the mushrooms with the toasted bread crumbs and fresh Italian parsley.
Follow @ CleanPlateBPB
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Valentine's Day 2016 Dinners in Broward and Palm Beach
Thu., Feb. 25, 8:00pm
Sat., Feb. 27, 7:00pm
Sun., Feb. 28, 7:00pm
Tue., Mar. 1, 8:00pm
- South Florida Food and Drink Events This Weekend: Mardi Gras Bar Crawl, Food Truck...
- #FloridaBeerFriday: A-10 Hophog Red IPA From Copperpoint Brewing Company