The Food List Challenge, Round Two
Last week, we told you about the Food List Challenge, the Facebook app of 100 dishes and drinks to prove you're a
foodnik. So far, 335,345 people have tried it, including former food
of the items are ridiculous, but there
are plenty of stumpers, since few people are acing the list. Last week, we found alligator at Shuck N Dive, absinthe at Sweetwater's Bar, and biscuits with gravy at Georgia Pig. After the jump, the next round for the challenge.
1. Black Pudding: Waxy O'Connor's in Fort Lauderdale
Both black and white pudding -- the stuff without blood -- is served weekends as part of the restaurant's Irish breakfast, along with two eggs, toast, tomatoes, mushrooms, and sausage.
2. Black Truffle: The Tudor House in Miami Beach
This delicacy usually from the Perigord region of France has made an appearance on more menus as they've been farmed in the most unlikely of places: Tennessee.
3. Borscht: 3G's Gourmet in Delray Beach
This Eastern European/Russian-style soup is served chilled with sour cream at 3G's daily. Order it with a side of herring.
4 Calamari: G&B Oyster Bar in Fort Lauderdale
A light batter, fresh squid, and a tangy sweet dipping sauce is a terrific mainstay at this newcomer that's a sibling to Coconuts.
5. Caviar: Sushi Rock in Fort Lauderdale
We'll go with salmon and flying fish roe rather than the prized Beluga sturgeon from the Caspian sea, as prized as it may be.
6. Cheese Fondue: The Melting Pot in Boca Raton
Though fondue evokes snowy mountains and cold winter nights, our sultry weather doesn't dissuade folks from Swiss, Fontina, and Cheddar melted cheeses with an array of seasonal veggies and bread.
7. Chicken and Waffles: Brick House Tavern + Tap in Fort Lauderdale
Fried chicken may be ubiquitous in other regions; not so in South Florida, where Southern fare served in stylish environs is just becoming a thing. As a result, the fried-chicken-and-waffle spinoff is also not as easy to find. This watering hole offers the dish on the menu with syrup and chicken tenders, a cheat on bone-in legs, breast, and thighs.
8. Chicken Tikka Masala: Indus Indian and Herbal Cuisine in West Palm
This British-standard Indian dish offers spice and complexity in this chicken broiled in a tandoor oven.
9. Chile Rellenos: La Bamba in Fort Lauderdale
Two poblano peppers are stuffed with cheese, dipped in an egg batter, deep-fried, and topped with sauce and cheese.
10. Carp: Where to find it?
I'm not sure where we'd find these to eat locally besides the nearest goldfish tank or koi pond. Any suggestions?
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- The Blind Monk's Jason Hunt Reveals His Favorite South Florida Beer Bars
Sat., Dec. 12, 7:30pm
Sun., Dec. 13, 1:00pm
Sun., Dec. 13, 6:30pm
Tue., Dec. 15, 8:00pm
- South Florida Thanksgiving Eve Parties 2015: Craft Beers, Drink Specials, and Music
- Forget Your Old Thanksgiving Stuffing Recipe, Mofongo Is Where It's At