The Inspector: Ver Daddy's Taco Shop
Yesterday we received this comment to a post about roaches at a North Miami Quizno's:
Paul says, "They should check out Ver Daddy's taco shop on Biscayne too."
The Inspector is here to give the people what they want, "the truth" as a matter of public record as reported by the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation through their inspection reports and the responses of the business against which claims are made. Here's the scoop on Ver Daddy's Taco Shop (7501 Biscayne Blvd., Miami).
Ver Daddy's last routine food inspection took place on October 6, 2008 and turned up 10 violations, 5 deemed "critical."
Here are the lowlights.
- Observed processed ready-to-eat, potentially hazardous food held more than 24 hours not properly date marked after opening.
- Observed food-contact surfaces encrusted with grease and/or soil deposits.
- No proof of required employee training provided. All public food service establishments must provide the division with proof of employee training upon request, including, but not limited to, at the time of any division inspection of the establishment.
The owner of Ver Daddy's Taco Shop, "epicurean rock-star David Bass" according to verdaddys.com, had this to say:
"Those things sound bigger than what they would actually be. Not a day goes by that we don't start fresh; every day we start fresh. Every Sunday, we bomb the restaurant for roaches and critters. We also have a contract with Orkin. We're in a building from 1964 and we deal with food products. This is Florida, we gotta fight em'. The negative part of the bombing (fumigation) is that it brings them out and takes up to 7 days to kill them, but those are their last living moments. Every Monday we do a full cleaning of the restaurant, I pay extra for that."
In reference to violations incurred, Bass said "our hood systems had to get cleaned, that's where the grease was. We had to hang up proof of training on the window. We have rectified all that." As for the health inspector who filed the report Bass says "He even sends customers here, people tell us the health inspector recommended us."
As for the comment left by Paul, Bass is upset "A lot of people wanna see you succeed, but a lot of people don't wanna see you succeed at all, they'll do anything to try and bring you down, we've dealt with that since the beginning, but we support the community and the community supports us."
-- The Inspector
Have questions about a restaurant's inspection record? Leave a comment or ask the Inspector
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- #FloridaBeerFriday: Circa 1926 Tangerine Wheat From Darwin Brewing
Sat., Dec. 12, 7:30pm
Sun., Dec. 13, 1:00pm
Sun., Dec. 13, 6:30pm
Tue., Dec. 15, 8:00pm
- South Florida Food & Drink Events This Weekend: Black Friday Beers, Cocktails for...
- South Florida Grocery and Liquor Stores Open on Thanksgiving Day