This is Your Brain. This is Your Brain on Truffles.
My favorite news item of the week: Swiss researches have discovered a new psychological disorder which they've called "Gourmand Syndrome." Turns out that people who are passionately obsessed with food actually have lesions in their right anterior cerebral hemisphere -- lesions which do not appear in people who are not food obsessed. Those of us who suffer from Gourmand Syndrome exhibit "a preoccupation with food and a preference for fine eating" and may suffer from other, related "impulse control disorders."
- Did eating too much artisanal chocolate and pheasant pie cause the lesions, or did the lesions appear prior to the craving for foie gras?
- Also, do poor people have the lesions too? And if so, is there a correlation between crime statistics and local availability of caviar?
- Does this mean I can go ahead and order that bottle of Chateau d'Yquem?
- Where do I apply for my disability check?
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- #FloridaBeerFriday: Circa 1926 Tangerine Wheat From Darwin Brewing
Sat., Dec. 12, 7:30pm
Sun., Dec. 13, 1:00pm
Sun., Dec. 13, 6:30pm
Tue., Dec. 15, 8:00pm
- South Florida Food & Drink Events This Weekend: Black Friday Beers, Cocktails for...
- South Florida Grocery and Liquor Stores Open on Thanksgiving Day