Top Ten National Food Stories of 2011
It's the roundup time of year. To kick off the a.m., we've culled the national stories on Clean Plate Charlie that got the most clicks for 2011. Read on for everything from the riveting to the ridiculous!
10. Japanese Scientist Makes Turd Burger to Solve World Hunger. June 21, 2011
A Japanese scientist goes for the lurid by making a burger with sewage sludge, food coloring, and soy.
9. Colbert Tips His Hat to Walgreens Big Flats Beer. February 4, 2011
Colbert said this beer is a great idea: Since people can't
afford prescription drugs, they can go one aisle over and get the beer for $2.99 a six-pack.
8. Coca-Cola Drops White Polar Bear Cans Because We're Too Stupid. December 2, 2011
Customers protested white cans that looked too much like Diet Coke when the company teamed with World Wildlife Fund to protect polar bears.
7. Where to Buy Girl Scout Cookies. January 27, 2011
An app and a website help quell your thin-mint cravings.
6. Wendy's Natural Cut Fries Not So Natural After All. April 18, 2011
According to Yahoo Finance,
it's true that Wendy's fries have a bit of skin left on them (making
them look all golden and natural). But then they're sprayed with sodium
acid pyrophosphate and dusted with dextrose, a corn-based sugar.
5. Teen Hospitalized After Pot Cookies Come to School. February 1, 2011
Two high school kids eat a pot cookie and are sent to the hospital. Recipe included.
4. The Five Dumbest Rachael Ray Moments. August 21, 2011
She gives us plenty of material.
3. Epic Meal Time's Breakfast of Booze: This Is Breakfast for Winners! April 13, 2011
How to make an 18,531 calorie meal.
2. Lady Gaga's Meat Dress Turned Into Jerky for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. June 20, 2011
How do you stop a dress from decaying? You dry it out, plaster it with chemicals, and paint it.
1. Starbucks Barista Writes the Most Awesome Song and Gets Fired. September 26, 2011
Why didn't they give the guy a raise?
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.