Top Ten Pick-Me-Up Snacks From Chef Jennifer Reed
SO much better than hospital food!
Jennifer Reed is a South Florida pastry chef and proprietor of the Sugar Monkey. Each week, she shares her thoughts about life, food, and the people who make it.
Stranded in my house for a weekend after surgery seemed like a real bummer. Could I turn that frown upside down with a post-surgery trip to the library and the grocery store? When you stock your pantry like I do... Yeah!!!
Below, my list of delicious pick-me-ups.
Now why did I spend all that money on pain killers when I have so much love in the cupboard?
My Mack Daddy Surgery Survival Kit included:
2. Bubbie's Green Tea Mochi Ice Cream - Get only one box as you will want to eat them all. Whole Foods stocks these -- $8.99 for eight pillows of heaven.
3. Roland Rolled Anchovy Fillets With Capers - DO NOT combine with treats 1 and 2!!
4. Amy's Cheese Stuffed Enchiladas - yes, they're frozen, but they rock
5. Garden of Eatin' Sesame Blues and Zapata Fire Roasted Salsa Verde - Spicy!
6. Cipriani Pappardelle - This pasta is truly beautiful. (And one day, for the true king, order some Fernando Pensato pasta -- truly worth every penny). Find the Cipriani pasta at Carmine's in the Gardens for $8.
7. Cowgirl Creamery Red Hawk - a gorgeous triple creme, washed rind cheese
8. PEACHES - they are like candy right now!
9. Fage Greek Yogurt With Strawberries - So nice and acidic with just the right amount of sweetness from the berries. Most grocery and specialty stores stock it. Right now, you can get it 2/$3 at Whole Foods.
10. Magic Hat Wacko - For when you start to go stir-crazy -- available at many fine establishments for around $8.50 a six-pack.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.