Valentino Cucina Italiana Hosting Special Modern Italian Dinner Next Week
There's a reason Valentino Cucina Italiana frequently sits at the top of our lists, and won our pick for "Best Restaurant Broward County - 2013" -- it really is one of the best restaurants in town. On the pricier side of the spectrum, it's a special occasion place (for most of us anyway). However, when chef/owner Giovanni Rocchio says he's preparing a special dinner, you know it's going to blow some minds. Next week, he's hosting a dinner of "Innovative Cuisine with a Modern Italian Twist."
Starting Monday, November 17 night at 6:30 p.m., Rocchio is pulling out all the stops -- this is not your Nonna's spaghetti with red sauce -- with an inventive dinner paired with wines from the Piemonte region. The Fort Lauderdale-based chef is known for his inventive takes on modern Italian fare; the food at Valentino is not far from what you'd find in a Michelin-rated restaurant in the motherland.
Here's a peek at the menu:
- Reception: Ferghettina, Franciacorta, Cuvee Brut NV
- First Course: beef carpaccio with fresh porcini and parmesan truffle vinaigrette, paired with Luigi Einaudi, Dogliani Superiore "Vigna Tecc" 2011
- Second Course: guinea hen ravioli tossed with gorgonzola, fonduta, and braised endive, matched to Conterno-Fantino, Nebbiolo D'Alba "Ginestrino" 2012
- Third Course: herb-roasted lamb saddle with Taggiasca olive, pecorino, eggplant, and oven-dried tomato, with Ca Rome, Barbaresco "Chiaramant" 2009
- Fourth Course: short ribs and vanilla brown butter, roasted salsify, Brussels sprouts, and red wine jus, served with Marcarini, Barolo "Brunate" 2010 and Luigi Einaudi and Barolo "Costa Grimaldi" 2009
- Dolci: goat's milk cheesecake with poached pear, honeycomb, and thyme, next to Gaudio, Bricco Mondalino, Malvasia Rossa
Unfortunately, just like an esteemed eatery on the boot, this one is going to cost you. It's $225 per person, including tax and tip. Hey, it's a surefire way to improve a Monday, if you can fork out the cash.
Reception starts at 6:30 p.m. Dinner begins at 7:30 p.m.
Valentino is located at 620 S Federal Hwy. in Fort Lauderdale. Call 954-523-5767, or visit valentinocucinaitaliana.com.
Follow Sara Ventiera on Twitter, @saraventiera.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to South Florida dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.