Max's Grille executive chef Patrick Broadhead will give a shout out to Boca Raton and its signature twist on eggs Benedict when he goes up against 134 other chefs during the nationwide Hometown Breakfast Battle, which kicked off this week. The competition is sponsored by Thomas Breads, makers of the ubiquitous "nook and cranny" boasting English Muffin.
To celebrate the most important meal of the day, and the company's 135th anniversary milestone, this year marks the first Hometown Breakfast Battle, where some of the country's best chefs battle it out for the title of America's best breakfast recipe.
For the competition, each participating chef has unveiled a special breakfast dish he or she has created using one locally inspired recipe — one that incorporates a Thomas Breads company product, of course. The recipes and information about the chef are housed on the contest website ThomasBreakfastBattle.com where consumers can vote for their favorite over the course of six weeks.
For the next 10 days, fans can cast a vote up to three times daily, helping to determine the 16 chefs that will move on to round two. From there, your votes will narrow it down to eight competitors in the quarter finals; four in the semi-finals; and down to just two chefs in the finals. The chef with the most votes will be crowned "Thomas' Hometown Breakfast Battle Grand Champion," also winning the grand prize of $25,000.
But the chefs aren't the only winners here. In addition to all these free recipes, voters can also go for the gold — and plenty of free food, too. With every vote cast, online fans and participants will also be entered for the chance to win a $10,000 grand prize, and coupons for Thomas products.
For the breakfast-inspired throw down, Broadhead has selected his own locally-inspired take on eggs Benedict with the Boca Benedict, a combination of smoked salmon, applewood smoked bacon, tomato, and crushed avocado. If you want to try it yourself, Max's Grille has provided the recipe here:
Chef’s Patrick’s Boca Benedict
Thomas’ English Muffin Hometown Breakfast Battle
- 1 Thomas’ English Muffin, toasted with butter
- 1 slice of Smoked Salmon
- 3 leaves of arugula
- 1 slice of Applewood bacon, split
- 1 egg, poached
- 1 heirloom tomato
Ingredients for Crushed Avocado:
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- 1 medium sized Haas avocado
- 1 small Serrano chili, seeded and minced
- 1 lemon
- Sea salt to taste
- Remove the pit from the avocado and scoop the flesh into a bowl. Mash avocado lightly with a fork. Add minced Serrano, juice of 1/2 the lemon and 1 tsp sea salt, or to taste. Mix gently so the avocado remains chunky. Set aside.
- Heat water in a large pot. Add enough water to come 1 inch up the side of a narrow, deep 2-quart sauce pot. Add 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 2 teaspoons white vinegar and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Meanwhile, crack 1 very fresh cold large egg into a custard cup or small ramekin. Use the handle of a spatula or spoon to quickly stir the water in one direction until it's all smoothly spinning around.
- Add the egg(s) one at a time into the whirlpool, turn off the heat and cover the pot. Allow to sit, covered 4-5 minutes depending on desired level of doneness. Remove the egg from the water with a slotted spoon and pat dry on a clean kitchen towel. Season with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Toast 1 Thomas’ English muffin and spread with butter. Top the bottom muffin with 1 tablespoon avocado, arugula, slice of tomato, your favorite bacon, smoked salmon and finish with the poached egg. Top with the buttered top of Thomas' English muffin.
Nicole Danna is a food writer covering Broward and Palm Beach counties. To get the latest in food and drink news in South Florida, follow her @SoFloNicole or find her latest food pics on the BPB New Times Food & Drink Instagram.