Weekend Food and Booze Events
• Remember the pie-eating contest scene from the '80s classic Stand By Me? Now picture that, but with raw fish. (I'll give you a moment to compose yourself.)
All better? Good. Because you'll need your strength for Sushi Jo's second annual sushi-eating contest, going down on Saturday at 5080 PGA Blvd., Ste. 105, in Palm Beach Gardens. I can't imagine a worse thing to do to yourself than stuff your guts full of raw fish and sticky rice. But watching someone else do it for the promise of $300... well that's pure win. The contest starts at 6 p.m. Call 561-868-7893.
• Here's one bracket tournament the Yankees aren't likely to win this October: Whole Foods in Coral Springs is hosting its second annual World Series of Beer, a single elimination challenge that pits brews from around the world in a battle for the sudsy pennant. The field of play: your taste buds. 10 bucks gets you a spot in the lineup where you can judge eight beers -- past winners include Rogue's Dead Guy Ale and Dogfish Pumpkin Ale. Though the Marlins have long been out of the baseball race, mascot Billy the Marlin will be repping for the home crowd, and so will Marlins' broadcaster Rich Waltz. First pour starts Sunday at 3 p.m. To register, call Johnny Rose at 954-753-8000, ext. 241.
• Can't get enough beer this weekend? Check out the Blues 'N' Brews
Food & Wine Festival at the Downtown at the Gardens Mall on
Saturday at 3 p.m. Whole Foods is sponsoring this "family friendly
event" which will feature craft beer and wine tastings, a spread of
"artisan" food pairings, and bluesy tunes from local artists Sweetbone,
DJ Bert, Deny Rowand, and Bossas Boleros & Blues, with a special
performance by Tony Wilson and the Godfather of Soul Band. Tickets run
$20 at the gate, $8 for those under 21 (poor suckers). Call Brenna
Bertram-Salman at 561-691-8550, ext. 215 for more info or advance
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Eight Things to Do in South Florida This Week
Tue., March 22, 8 p.m.
Tue., March 22, 8 p.m.
- Take the 8-Pound Burger Craze Challenge on National Burger Day May 28
- Funky Buddha Brewery Opening Craft Food Counter & Kitchen