Kenneth Konias, Alleged Pittsburgh Armored-Car Robber, Arrested in Pompano Beach, Possibly in Crack House

On a Tuesday at the end of February, two Pittsburgh detectives were driving down the road around 3:45 p.m. when they saw an armored car parked on the road. Two men wearing Garda Security badges were standing in front of it. The detectives, it seems, thought this weird and pulled up to the armored car.

They saw blood leaking out of one of the truck's locked doors. The men were yelling that a man was shot, but no one could get into the truck, which was locked from the inside, until a Garda manager arrived with a master key. He opened the back of the truck. Inside, they found driver Michael Haines, dead of a gunshot wound to the back of the head.

Haines' Glock 9-mm handgun was missing. So was his partner, 22-year-old Kenneth Konias.

Security footage at Garda headquarters showed that Konias had arrived in his tan Ford Explorer a little before 8 a.m. that day, and his car had been in the parking lot all day, because he'd been out collecting money with Haines.

A little before 1 p.m., the armored car pulled into a Home Depot for a pickup. After it pulled away, the truck stopped along the road. It didn't move for three minutes. When a witness heard a gunshot, they looked over at the truck, which then sped away.

Additional footage from 30 minutes later shows Konias, on foot, running into the Gardas parking lot. He goes straight for his car and speeds out of the lot.

Konias, police say, frantically called a friend.

"I fucked up," Konias said, according to court documents. "My life is over."

The friend asked if things were going badly at work, if maybe he got somebody pregnant.

"Worse than that," he said.

"What, did you kill someone?" the friend said.

There was a long pause. "Yes."

According to police, Konias told the friend to run off with him, that he had enough money now that neither of them would have to work ever again. He wasn't lying -- Garda reports Konias got away with more than $2 million. The friend declined.

Two hours later, Konias called his mom. She told police he was acting strangely, then hung up and stopped answering the phone. His mom had heard about the armored car and about how the police didn't know where Konias was. She was worried.

His father said Konias then came home briefly, going upstairs in the family house for several minutes before fleeing again, leaving behind a blood-spattered Garda jacket and $200,000. Konias later called his parents and told them to go to his great-grandmother's grave, according to UPI, where they found another $25,000.

Then, he disappeared. The FBI posted a "wanted" flier on its Facebook page, and two days after the robbery, the FBI called America's Most Wanted, which featured the crime last month. There wasn't any new news until today, when Konias was arrested in Pompano Beach, 1,100 miles from the scene of the crime, at what Pittsburgh TV station KDKA is reporting was a "crack house." KDKA says his South Florida friends called the cops after Konias bragged about the heist, though more will become clear once more documents get in order.