S3, short for Sun, Surf and Sand, is the latest project by the Restaurant People, owners of YOLO, Vibe, and Tarpon Bend. It's the team's first foray onto Fort Lauderdale's beachfront, and it's doing it in high style -- with an even higher budget. Nearly $4 million was spent transforming the first floor of the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort into a Pacific-inspired oasis. For this project, which opened mid-2013, company execs Tim Petrillo and Peter Bouloukis have reunited with chef Chris Miracolo. The trio have worked together on and off all the way back to 1995 but parted ways for a while when Miracolo went to work at the farm-to-table restaurant Max's Harvest in Delray Beach. The menu features entrees that appeal to a professional crowd -- like pork loin and skirt steak -- more than a dozen raw and sushi items, and a wide choice of small plates that pair well with a trendy cocktail and ocean views. The grilled octopus, for instance, is one of the best dishes in town.
- Price: $$$
- Hours: Monday & Tuesday 11:30 a.m.-10 p.m.; Wednesday & Thursday 11:30 a.m.-11 p.m.; Friday 11:30 a.m.-12 a.m.; Saturday 10 a.m.-12 a.m.; Sunday 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
- Outdoor seating: Open-air patio
- Alcohol: Full bar
- Reservations: Recommended
- Parking: On-street, Valet
- Extra Services: Banquet Facilities
- Call restaurant to order/pay