The old Shirttail Charlie's location is tricky to access by car (tucked in a maze of streets behind Andrews Avenue) but is one of Fort Lauderdale's best. How many downtown restaurants boast 150 feet of waterfront on the New River? The biker/pirate motif is contrived but fun, and Pirate Republic is actually a step up from the past. Drinks have names like "One-Eye Mojito" and "The Jack Sparrow" and "Fuzzy Buccaneer," and the food, featuring a deep, wide selection of shellfish dishes, has taken on a Mediterranean flair. Suck it all down while you soak up the scenery and watch yachts and tour boats glide past. Diners and drinkers can ride to the restaurant via water taxi or float up on their personal watercraft -- there's plenty of room to tie up. And if you don't enjoy boat-watching, the Florida East Coast Railway sends dozens of trains over the nearby drawbridge daily.
- Price: $
- Hours: Sunday-Thursday 12-10 p.m.; Friday & Saturday 12-11 p.m.
- Outdoor seating: Open-air patio
- Alcohol: Full bar
- Reservations: Recommended
- Parking: Free, Lot Available
- Extra Services: Banquet Facilities, Private-group dining
- Call restaurant to order/pay