Boynton Beach Arts District's acclaimed monthly art walks will live to see many another day!
We hit up BBAD's outspoken leader Rolando Barrero yesterday and found him to be in great spirits about the outcome of his meeting with the City of Boynton Beach on Friday.
Barrero met with Boynton Beach's city manager as well as the chiefs of the police and fire departments last week and says he couldn't be more pleased with the resolution Boynton Beach's city leaders proposed to him about continuing the successful run of BBAD's art walks.
"Lori LaVerriere (Boynton Beach's city manager) couldn't have been more amicable," he revealed. "The moment I arrived, she held her hand out and said, 'I think we have a solution that you are really goong to like.'" The ban on the art walk will be lifted, and BBAD will simply have to pay $250 for a yearly permit to conduct their monthly art walks. "My mouth was an ear-to-ear grin when they told me the news of the proposal."
Barrero said the future of the art walks was never in question, it was simply the delay caused by the city in lifting the ban that had Barrero and his supporters so riled up. Up until last Friday, the city of Boynton Beach did not have a formal process for filing monthly event permits. Now it does, and the city has its lively art walk back in place.
Resale Concert Tickets
Business resumes on August 28, when the next city sanctioned event will take place. Barrero, who is sincerely appreciative of all the support he has received from the community, says the revived August art walk will be a community celebration. "We are going to be sending a big call out to all the community nonprofits to come out and celebrate with us. This is their win as much as it is ours.
More info on the August 28 art walk will be released this Friday on BBAD's Facebook page.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!