graciously keeps us up-to-date and comments on the current releases
flying out of his store each week.
No coincidence that Urban Outfitters took Best Coast's Crazy for You under its wing. Bethany Cosentino's lovelorn songs inspired by boys, cannabis, and her cat, Snacks, makes for a prime dorm room decoration soundtrack. After a string of indie 7-inches that relied much more on garage-rock fuzz, Best Coast's full-length debut has a clearer rock sound that Jenny Lewis fans can appreciate. The through-line stylistically is Cosentino's penchant for girl-group songwriting and harmonies. Until school's in session, Ramirez has another suggested scenario below.
Radio-Active Records' Top 5 Releases for July 27 - August 2:
1. Best Coast - Crazy For You (Mexican Summer) "As predicted, Best Coast's debut trampled on every other release out the door this week. Thoughts? After a few repeated listens, I quickly changed my tune. It's a well-rounded weed-stenched pop album for those sunny Florida Sundays at the beach. Take it for what it is."
2. M.I.A. - MAYA (N.E.E.T./Interscope)
3. Die Antwoord - 5 (Interscope) "Die Antwoord's 5 EP served as a nice appetizer until their ful-length drops later in the year."
4. Mr. Oizo & Gaspard Auge - Rubber EP (Ed Banger) "Mr. Oizo teamed up with fellow Frenchie Gaspard Auge (Justice) for a new Ed Banger banger! Yes kids, it's limited and imported!"
5. Madlib - Medicine Show #7: High Jazz (Stones Throw)
Which albums will we be talking about next week?
"Watch out! The Arcade Fire's The Suburbs (Merge) will be on fire! Expect to also see new releases including the Black Crowes' Croweology (Silver Arrow), Wavves' King of the Beach (Fat Possum), Autolux's Transit Transit (TBD), Four Tet & Mala's "Nothing to See"/"Don't Let Me Go" split (Soul Jazz), and more."