A name means everything -- be it John Lennon or Shit Robot. The former became iconic because of the music associated with it, and the latter will unfortunately deter people. Both figured heavily into this week's sales at Radio-Active.
Radio-Active Records' Top 5 Releases for October 5-11:
1. John Lennon - Gimme Some Truth (EMI) "Coinciding with what would have been John Lennon's 70th birthday, it would seem fitting to re-release his back catalog in remastered & repackaged editions. The highlight is Gimmie Some Truth -- a lavish four-disc box set covering four of his most thematic albums. If you're looking for more than a greatest hits rehash, this box is for you."
2. Grinderman - "Heathen Child" 12-inch "This 12-inch is an import only release pressed on red wax and includes another not-to-be-overlooked poster. Hurry up as this single is already out of print!"
3. Shit Robot - From The Cradle To The Rave (DFA) "If you can get past their god-awful name, Shit Robot, the brainchild of veteran-DJ Marcus Lambkin, releases his long-awaited debut. With help from his DFA Collective, Shit Robot combines the best elements of '80s acid house with the yesteryear sound of D.A.F. and Nitzer Ebb without ever lacking a sense of identity. A solid party rocker, if nothing else."
4. Weezer - Hurley (Epitaph)
5. Aloe Blacc - Good Things (Stones Throw)
Which albums will we be discussing next week?
"Next week, we await new releases including Belle & Sebastian's Write About Love (Matador), Esben & The Witch's "Marching Song" single (Matador), Antony & the Johnsons' Swanlights (Secretly Canadian), Sufjan Stevens' The Age of Ads (Asthmatic Kitty), the Toadies' Feeler (Kirtland), Tamaryn's The Waves, and more."