A Broward man is probably taking a second look at vegetarianism after a bad fried chicken wing almost killed him, according to a recent court filing.
Peter Bookholt claims that a fried chicken wing he bought from a Pompano Beach Publix in August 2010 contained stray metal, so he's suing the grocery giant for medical costs and other damages, a Broward County Civil Court document says.
Here's what supposedly happened: Shortly after lunching on a chicken wing, Bookholt "felt as if he was choking."
So Bookholt went to Northwest Medical Center. He had emergency surgery.
Turns out, Bookholt's lunch didn't agree with his stomach. A wing "contained a foreign object, to wit: a 25 mm piece of wire," the filing says.
Bookholt, who's demanding a jury trial, says the Lakeland-based chain's screwed up, causing him "past, present, and future disability, discomfort, disfigurement, inability to lead a normal life, shame, humiliation and scarring."
Bookholt and his lawyer say that Publix has a duty to "ensure that the food is served free of harmful substances."
Unlike bones or overly crunchy breading, a piece of wire is not a "reasonably expected" hazard when eating chicken wings, meaning Publix is at fault for Bookholt's ails, the lawyer says.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
So much for breasts being men's undoing...