Animals

Edward Archbold Dies After Eating Dozens of Roaches and Worms in Deerfield Reptile Shop

If you're a queasy reader who's going to be turned off by a guy vomiting up a crap ton of bugs and then dying, turn away now.


Broward Sheriff's Office is investigating the death of Edward Archbold, a 32-year-old West Palm Beach resident who died after "he had consumed dozens of roaches and worms." 

This wasn't an episode of Fear Factor, and Andrew Zimmern wasn't around, to the best of our knowledge. 

Rather, Deerfield Beach-based Ben Siegel Reptile Store hosted some sort of roach-eating contest, because, you know, why not? The winner of the heinous competition would have taken home (wait for it... wait for it...) a python. 


Yup, eat a bunch of roaches and win a python. Stay classy, Deerfield. 

And apparently Archbold devoured an ungodly amount of bugs, won the contest, and then died.

According to the BSO, Archbold began to "regurgitate" the slimy yet crunchy feast soon after winning. He then collapsed in front of the store and was pronounced dead at Broward Health North. 

The cause of death hasn't been determined. 

We can't help but wonder what happened to the python.  


KEEP NEW TIMES BROWARD-PALM BEACH FREE... Since we started New Times Broward-Palm Beach, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of South Florida, and we'd like to keep it that way. With local media under siege, it's more important than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" program, allowing us to keep offering readers access to our incisive coverage of local news, food and culture with no paywalls.
Chris Sweeney