Rumors swirled when Edward Archbold dropped dead in October after winning a cockroach-eating contest.
Perhaps he had an allergic reaction. Or maybe a roach punctured his lung. Maybe his guts exploded with bug juices. And there was always the chance he swallowed some vicious insect that gnawed its way through his innards.
But today, those rumors were squashed with the release of a significantly boring Broward Medical Examiner report. Archbold died of "asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents."
For those who don't remember, Archbold took part in a bug-eating contest last month at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach. Archbold went all out and devoured his way to victory by eating "dozens of roaches and worms," according to the Broward Sheriff's Office.
Soon after, he began throwing up. Then he collapsed in front of the store and was pronounced dead a little while later at Broward Health North.
Arguably, the most depressing and bizarre aspect of the entire saga is that the winner of the contest got a python.