Gregory Moore, Carjacking Suspect Considered Armed and Dangerous, Still at Large (UPDATED) | The Daily Pulp | South Florida | Broward Palm Beach New Times | The Leading Independent News Source in Broward-Palm Beach, Florida

Broward News

Gregory Moore, Carjacking Suspect Considered Armed and Dangerous, Still at Large (UPDATED)

Update: Moore has been captured. According to the FBI, Moore was caught at the Mangonia Park Tri-Rail station in West Palm Beach at around 3:15 p.m. Wednesday afternoon.

Moore is being held in federal custody and is facing federal charges. He is scheduled to appear in court Thursday morning.

Original post:

Gregory Moore, the 35-year-old man police and FBI say shut down parts of Fort Lauderdale after shooting two people during a carjacking spree Tuesday morning, remains at large.

Moore's alleged carjacking spree snarled traffic on I-95 in Broward County and forced several schools in the area into lockdown on Tuesday as the FBI and Fort Lauderdale Police launched a massive manhunt. As more information trickled in throughout the day, it was revealed that Moore had allegedly shot two people while stealing their cars. One of the victims, an unidentified male, died from the gunshot wounds. The other victim, a woman, remains in critical condition, according to authorities.

Moore had recently been arrested after a separate shooting incident over the weekend.

See also: Broward Schools and I-95 on Lockdown as Police Search for Armed Carjacker

The FBI, Fort Lauderdale Police, the Broward Sheriff's Office, Hallandale Beach Police, and the Florida Highway Patrol are all actively searching for Moore, who authorities say should be considered armed and dangerous.

Shortly after 9 a.m. Tuesday, Fort Lauderdale Police Department tweeted out that officers were searching for an armed suspect that they later identified as Moore. The tweet said that motorists and pedestrians should avoid Broward Boulevard. Earlier that morning, a Fort Lauderdale Police officer was flagged down by woman in the 1500 block of West Sunrise Boulevard. She told the officer Moore had forced her to drive him for a few blocks before ordering her and her son out of the car. Moore then took off southbound toward Dania Beach, according to police.

A second carjacking occurred a short time after. Moore allegedly took off toward Hallandale Beach in the second car. A third carjacking went down in Hallandale Beach, and police said Moore took off northbound on I-95 before eventually ditching the car along Broward Boulevard.

There were also reports that FBI had surrounded a home located at SW Fourth Street and 20th Avenue in Fort Lauderdale on Tuesday afternoon, but there was no sign of Moore. The carjacking and shootings forced several schools, including Dillard High, Dillard Elementary, North Fork Elementary, Walker Elementary, and Stranahan High, on lockdown for the day.

On Tuesday afternoon, the FBI met with the media and identified Moore as the suspect but had no further information as far as why he had gone on his carjacking spree.

"There is no idea on his motivation," Fort Lauderdale Police Detective DeAnna Greenlaw told the media, "but [Moore] showed no regard for anyone's safety, not even his own, based on this series of crimes he has committed today. Officers are working countless hours and exhausting all efforts to take him into custody and make our community safe."

"I can't emphasize enough how dangerous this person is," added FBI Special Agent Michael Leverock.

The FBI is asking the public to help track Moore down but asks that they call 911 if they think they spot him.

"He has shown he is going to use violence not just to the people and sadly to a man and woman in Hallandale, but all the carjackers were held at gunpoint," Leverock said.

According to police, Moore was also involved in a shooting incident over the weekend.

Lauderhill Police had two incidents involving Moore, in fact, on Sunday, one in which he was named as a person of interest in a shooting inside a home. However, the victim would not cooperate with police, so the incident was not investigated further.

A few hours after, Moore was found in another home after Lauderhill Police were called about another report of a shooting. This time Moore surrendered and was arrested for carrying a weapon without a license. He bonded out of jail that same day.

Send your story tips to the author, Chris Joseph. Follow Chris Joseph on Twitter

KEEP NEW TIMES BROWARD-PALM BEACH FREE... Since we started New Times Broward-Palm Beach, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of South Florida, and we'd like to keep it that way. With local media under siege, it's more important than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" program, allowing us to keep offering readers access to our incisive coverage of local news, food and culture with no paywalls.
Chris Joseph
Contact: Chris Joseph

Latest Stories