Jean-Carlo Baptist -- the 22-year-old Boynton Beach man police say beat his 11-week-old daughter unconscious in January 2010 -- was sentenced yesterday to four years in prison.
According to a Boynton Beach police detective, police were called by hospital medical staff on January 9, 2010, to investigate a "suspicious head injury."
Baptist's daughter had been taken to the hospital after he told paramedics the girl had been injured by falling out of bed.
Once Baptist was taken to the Boynton Beach Police Department, detectives say he changed his story.
Baptist told the cops "he was tired after working his night job and lost his temper" when his daughter wouldn't stop crying, according to the police report.
He told police he hit the girl six to eight times in the face with an open hand, causing her to lose consciousness and vomit.
That's when he cooked up the story and called 9-1-1.
The 11-week-old girl, who was bleeding from the brain when she was brought to the hospital, ended up having multiple seizures and undergoing several blood transfusions after being beat by Baptist.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to New Times Broward-Palm Beach's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling South Florida's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
Circuit Judge Karen Miller sentenced Baptist to four years in prison for the aggravated child abuse charge.