The plea deal that would have kept Kaitlyn Hunt out of jail has been withdrawn by the prosecution.
In addition to having her charges reduced to misdemeanors, the deal would have also kept Hunt off the sex offender registry.
But now the prosecution contends that Hunt violated her pre-trial release court order when she sent thousands of text messages, including naked photos, to the girl she's accused of having sexual relations with when the victim was 14-years old.
The judge had ordered Hunt to cut off all communication with the victim. Prosecutors also alleged that Hunt's mother, Kelley Hunt Smith, also stayed in touch with the victim, and told her to delete the texts from Kaitlyn so she wouldn't get in trouble.
Now not only has Hunt had her plea deal taken off the table, but she is also scheduled to meet with the judge on Tuesday to find out if she'll be going back to jail should these violations prove to be true.
Prosecutors had said the deal was still on the table as early as Friday, with the violations looming. But now the prosecution says there is no more deal, which means Hunt is facing felony charges. She could now be facing jail time, and may have to register as a sex offender.
Hunt was arrested back in May on "lewd and lascivious battery of a child 12 to 16 years old" charges because of her same-sex relationship with a fellow student, who was 14 at the time.
Kaitlyn has received an overwhelming amount of support online since her arrest, particularly from those who believe this is a gay rights issue.
Kaitlyn's mother had started a "Free Kate" Facebook page after she was arrested, the family started an online "Stop The Hate" petition, which so far has over 300,000 signatures.
The family says Kaitlyn's girlfriend's parents had pressed charges because they simply couldn't handle their daughter being in a same-sex relationship.
There was also a rally organized in Kate's honor in Riverview Park in Sebastian back in May. Supporters showed up with signs that read "Don't waste my tax $ on nonsense," while t-shirts that read, "Stop the Hate, Free Kate," were sold.
Keep New Times Broward-Palm Beach Free... Since we started New Times Broward-Palm Beach, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of South Florida, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering South Florida with no paywalls.