As we wind down 2009, a glance through the local headlines:
- In the Acreage, the Palm Beach Sheriff's Office had a lengthy standoff with one of its own, 41-year-old Gary Gionnatti, who deputies feared had weapons and allegedly made threats to use them on himself. [Palm Beach Post]
- Not even the Coral Ridge Yacht Club would let Congressman Ron Klein escape a Q&A session without some tough questions about a health care plan being "rammed down our throat." [Sun-Sentinel]
- Attorneys working for the trustee in the bankruptcy proceedings against Scott Rothstein's Fort Lauderdale firm are demanding attorney Steven Lippman pay some $4 million in perks and bonuses he earned during his time as a member of the firm. [Miami Herald]
- UPDATE: Scott Hiassen has a marvelous article about local doctors who both treat patients with addiction in one capacity and are seemingly feeding those addictions on the other, by dishing out huge volumes of prescription pills. [Miami Herald]
- Broward Sheriff's Office detectives are looking for a 27-year-old man, Aaron Porter, who they believe stole identities to buy tires -- at least $65,000 worth. Presumably, he's then selling those tires for his own profit. Then again maybe this is Aaron Porter. [CBS4]
- A house on Palm Ridge Boulevard in Delray Beach went up in flames early this morning. Firefighters found no one in the home and believe its occupants had been evicted. [WPTV]
- Despite a valiant comeback, the Miami Hurricanes couldn't convert on a fourth down late in last night's Champs Sports Bowl, losing 20-14 to the Wisconsin Badgers. Incidentally, that university produces the nation's best journalists. [ESPN]
Let us now observe a hallowed UW tradition. At the end of the third quarter of Badger home games, House of Pain comes over the PA and the students' section loses its collective shit:
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!