The rundown of local news on this Thursday morning:
- A 16-year-old girl is in jail for stabbing to death her mother's boyfriend, Gilardo Ramos Paz, in the parking lot of a Winn Dixie in Delray Beach. The girl, Berenice Juarez, confessed to police, telling them she didn't approve of the man's relationship with her mother. [WPBF-25]
- The mother of Scott Wilson, the 23-year-old killed in the Wellington crash with polo mogul John Goodman, says that her son had been driving home for his sister's birthday. [Palm Beach Post]
- The Broward County School District has canceled some $2 billion in construction contracts, but it will still have to pay at least $10 million for work that was already performed, or far more in the event that those contractors mount legal challenges. [Miami Herald]
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- The Broward Teachers Union got under the skin of Superintendent James Notter, who gave an angry statement to media after reading attack ads that the union had placed in the morning newspaper. [WPLG-5]
- Michael Mayo is trying to find out what the "scheduling issue" was that important enough to lead Broward Circuit Judge Susan Lebow to issue a not-guilty verdict in a death-penalty murder case earlier this month. [Sun-Sentinel]