Oh, South Florida! Nothing can ever be quite so simple in the swampy suburban sprawl we call home. We are the epitome of the "This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things" meme.
Take our nifty, new I-95 express lanes, for example. What started out as a quick way to get to — and escape from — downtown Miami has become a nightmare. Accidents, at times deadly, have become a common occurrence. So, what's the Florida Department of Transportation do? It's spent $1.2 million to beef up the poles that separate the express lanes from the Ninth Circle of Hell known as South Florida traffic. The poles were also placed closer together to deter drivers from weaving in and out of the express lanes. Problem solved, right?
Wrong. (Remember, this is South Florida!)
Mark Kaire, an attorney with Kaire & Heffernan in Miami, points out that by placing the poles at five-foot, rather than ten-foot, intervals, the FDOT is just making it harder for people who are already determined to illegally jump from one lane to another to see what they’re doing. Asks Kaire, "They’re going to try to reduce the number of accidents by reducing drivers’ sight lines?"
That's just the beginning of all the South Florida mayhem that happened this week.
5. Activists Host Downtown Walking Tour of Corruption and Homeless Blight
4. Broward Activist Allegedly Beaten and Tased Five Times in Police Custody
3. The Racist Murderer Behind Broward's Most Controversial Street Is an Embarrassment to Hollywood
2. Rony Abovitz's Magic Leap May Reshape Your Reality
1. New Express Lane Poles May Actually Make I-95 More Dangerous