Father's Day is June 20, which is right around the corner. And while I'm sure dear old Dad would be satisfied with a day of golfing followed by a cold beer and a cigar, it's our responsibility as children/wives/friends to drag him from the house (forcefully, if necessary) and honor him with our company for at least a few hours. But where to do that? Check out Charlie's list of Father's Day deals going down at local restaurants to find a scenario that most fits your pop.
We'll continue to update this list through Father's Day. If you'd like to have your restaurant listed here, please send an email with the full details to John.Linn at BrowardPalmBeach.com.
• Nothing pleases Pop like leather, wood, and meat. Which is why Morton's, the Steakhouse is doing a three-course Father's Day menu for $69. From 5 to 10 p.m., Dad can enjoy a manly-man meal that includes a choice of filet mignon, Cajun rib eye, New York strip, plus plenty of other goodies. Call for reservations.
• It's ain't just for Father's Day, but Wild Olives Cafe in CityPlace has a nifty three-course meal deal running all summer long for just $21. Dad will enjoy it because $21 for three courses is a helluva deal, and you know he loves deals. You'll enjoy it because crispy-skin brook trout, honey-mustard-glazed salmon, and marinated hanger steak sounds damned good. Call 561-832-7771, or visit wildolivescafe.com.
• If what Dad really wants is to be surrounded by an endless parade of grilled meats (and who wouldn't?), then bring him to Chima Brazilian Steakhouse. Your dad can gobble down mountains of picanha, flank steak, tender filet mignon, and more for the low Father's Day price of $39.50 (noon to 3:30 p.m.) and $49.50 (4:30 to 9 p.m.). All lucky Dads in attendance will also be entered in a raffle -- good luck getting to your tickets with those greasy hands, though.
• Let's say Dad is a hands-on kind of guy. Maybe he does the grilling at family gatherings, muttering to himself as he stokes the coals and blackens meat. Well, Japanese steak-house chain Benihana has a pretty cool offer for DIY dads. From now through June 20, Dad can "Be the Chef" at any Benihana location in South Florida. He'll learn hands-on from a teppanyaki master as he attempts to grill, flip shrimp into open mouths, and -- the ultimate show of manliness -- build a volcano out of an onion. The cost is $140 for a table of four, plus $35 per additional person. Call your nearest Benihana location for details.
• Say thanks to Dad en español at Uncle Julio's. The Boca Raton Mexican restaurant is offering a Plato de Padre exclusively for Dad. For $29.95, Pop nets a cold-water lobster tail, char-grilled carne asada, guacamole, pico de gallo, rice and beans, and plenty of chips and salsa. Call 561-300-3530.
• Lola's on Harrison knows what Dad wants best: an innovative take on manly man dishes that are cooked and paired with craft beer. Start with homemade cheese-stuffed pretzels and spicy peel and eat shrimp infused with Southern Tier IPA. Then there's a real Southern barbecue platter with green mango slaw, maple-applewood smoked beans, beer-soaked watermelon, and a Stone Smoked Porter barbecue sauce. And Dad will love to finish up with a banana split made with Rogue Chocolate Stout whipped cream. The cost is $49 per person all inclusive. Call 954-927-9851.
• Cantina Laredo is doing a featured special for Dad's special day. It's an 8-ounce filet mignon studded with peppercorns and topped with a dijon pepper sauce, plus sides of cascabel-roasted potatoes and sauteed vegetables. The special runs $24.99 and only on June 20 at bto the Gulfstream Park and Palm Beach Gardens locations.
• Steak 954 will cook both breakfast and dinner in honor of pop. A 6 o.z filet mignon with eggs is about as manly as brunch gets, especially when served with lyonnaise potatoes and red wine reduction. For lunch/dinner it's a center-cut, 20-ounce chateaubriand with roasted mushrooms, a 22-ounce Creekstone Farms cowboy ribeye, or rare tuna with oyster mushrooms. All items are alla carte. Call 954-414-8333.
• Tuscan Grill on Las Olas has one helluva deal: Between 3 and 6 p.m. on Sunday, Dad's entree is entirely free. The catch -- limit one dad per table (sorry Grandpa), and the party must be four or more. Call 954-766-8700.