Chipotle is on a mission to prove that its restaurants are the healthiest way to eat fast and inexpensive. The restaurant chain recently — and controversially — announced that all its foods are now GMO-free. The company, which has always chosen to use hormone and antibiotic-free proteins, was also the first U.S. restaurant to disclose GMO ingredients in its food back in March 2013, with the goal of taking its restaurants in the GMO-free direction.
The company claims to have achieved that goal by working with farmers to plant non-GMO corn varieties for their corn tortillas, and replacing soybean oil with sunflower and rice bran oils. The company also says it has no artificial additives in its foods, with the exception of flour tortillas, which have an extremely short shelf life.
Chipotle is going overboard to prove that it serves real food. Instead of a laundry list of "secret ingredients" that are usually chemical sounding, Chipotle has released its guacamole recipe in time for Cinco de Mayo. What's even more amazing is that you can make it at home without any weird additives or a chemistry degree,
The secret to the recipe? Avocados. Chipotle uses 48 of them, but they've modified the recipe for home use, so you'll only need two. Make this recipe for Cinco de Mayo, then keep it handy for when avocado season rolls around.
Chipotle's Guacamole Recipe
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- 2 ripe Hass avocados (In the restaurant, Chipotle uses 48 per batch, multiple times per day)
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp cilantro (chopped)
- 1/4 cup red onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 jalapeño, including seeds (finely chopped)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
1. Choose the right avocado. It should feel squishy yet firm (like the palm of your hand), and be a nice dark green color on the inside.
2. Cut the avocado in half and the remove the pit (carefully!).
3. Scoop the avocados and place in a medium bowl.
4. Toss and coat with lime juice.
5. Add the salt and using a fork or potato masher, mash until a smooth consistency is achieved.
6. Fold in the remaining ingredients and mix well.
7. Taste the guacamole (over and over) and adjust seasoning if necessary.